Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode 1 - My Review

Options
  • 17-07-1999 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

OK saw the much hyped film today and I was very disappointed. Basically in my opinion it is rubbish as a film. Some stuff is nice the sets, some of the fight scenes etc. but the characters are very hollow, the script is laughable and the whole story is just disjointed. I know this is aimed at Children but so was Star Wars and I can still watch that today and enjoy them as damn good films.

This one leaves me with afeeling that X was put in there so they could use it for merchandising to sell MickeyD's, Coke or whatever else they want to screw cash from. There is too much CGI characters and the real actors in the film do not seem to be comfortable working with them and this shows.

I wanted this film to be good because like alot of the users of the board I remember when the original Star Wars film came out and going to see that in the cinema and the enjoyment it gave me then but this without doubt is the worst film that I have seen in the cinema this year.

Thats my tuppence,

Gandalf.

/me waits to get flamed by the Star Wars geeks. tongue.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I would make a comment here Gandy - but I'll spare you. This time.

bubbs

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

How rude tongue.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Riker

Hi lads,
    I saw TPM in Savoy screen one here in Dublin and the whole cinema went beserk at the end, most people seemed to have enjoyed it.

I thought it was a good film and a great Star Wars film. I really enjoyed it and the special effects were great. It wasn't close to being as good as any of the originals but still rocked.

I don't think it'll be as good on the small screen though and I saw Lucas say on the Big Breakfast that none of the films will come out on DVD until the entire series is completed in 2006 sad.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Lucas tells a good story. I'm looking forward to Eps 2 and 3 just to see how it all pans out.

Shame the man can't direct to save his life, half of his dialogue is so weak and cliched it's just not funny, and he has an obsession with "cute" that leads to crap characters like Jar Jar Binks and a little boy with a bad bowlcut who actually pronounces the word "yippee".

Oh yes... and the man has unlimited access to the best special effects crew on the planet, and yet even the much hyped pod race scene, I can't help feeling, would have screened better - faster and more exciting - had a real director like Coppola or Spielberg done it with plasticine models.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

What are you talking about Gandaf? Tis the best movie that I've seen in ages. In my opinion it was slated to much by critics, as I know lots of people who disliked the original trilogy, but loved Ep. 1, not for the sfx but the overall enjoyment of it. I thought its ending was one that really had to think about if you've only seen it once.
    All in all I cant wait to see the the next one.

smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

'the way Palpatine's face came into focus at the end during qui-gon's funeral, you know what hes up to'

thanks Hecate your're a star sad.gif if you are going to give away plot details like that could you please put some fookin warning in front for the benefit of those who have not yet seen it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

the majority of ppl will go to see TPM
    because its Star Wars and because of the hype surrounding it.
    everyone says Lucas is god. hes a fat toss.
    hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

#everyone knows about the cutie characters and te bad dialog.
    it was in the first three as well.

but for god sake dont spoil it by putting in plot details and spoilers. ffs.
    i amy as well not go now.

oh, but the new liffey valley cinema is cool.
    the seats are so plush
    i went to see the mummy there. now there was a fun film to watch

lets face it. everyone know what tpm was like, so why didnt yis go to see it with the mentality of a 10 year old. christ, if i went to every film ive seen over the past year with the view of being a professional critic, id hate 99% of them. why not just go for the spectacular and enjoy. ts not that hard to leave belief at the door. most ppl did it for the matrix and every one said that rocked. the plot was dodgy, keanu reeves couldnt act to save his mamma, the dialog was rubbish and predator had more explosions and big guns. and a better mini gun (hey, you could carry it around and chop down trees with it!)

but trust me on the spoilers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

i think most Americans agree with you ganders smile.gif...Austin Powers 2 is basically ****ing all over TPM box office wise in the states. Took $57million in its first week alone, making it the second fastest grossing film of all time. (Take it Lucas!!)

Yes menace was a biiig disapointment, ive seen better dialogue in a german sitcom, effects arent really anything special by todays standards...although some of the fight scenes with darth maul were impressive they've got nothing on the likes of the matrix.

Your right, too many cgi actors, that was the problem. Plus it somehow didnt *feel* like star wars, Lucas tried to inject too many modern ideas into the script (ie: the two headed announcer at the pod race, sounded like an american commentator at a baseball game). And his obsession with cuteness really came to the fore this time, Jar Jar Binks is easily *the* most annoying, unecessary character ive ever seen; "exxcuiissse meee!"..oh dear.

Good parts; yes there were some, the droid army was class, although they sounded a little too human for my liking. The way he built up the back story as regards Palpatine and Anakin, the way Palpatine's face came into focus at the end during qui-gon's funeral, you know what hes up to smile.gif.

Im curious to see whats done for the next 2, the scripts are already written if ive heard right?.

If every one goes to see it thinking that there is to much hype, they're going to find things wrong with it. Go to see it with an open mind and you'll enjoy it!

It will make more sense when Ep. 2 comes out

smile.gif

skywalker is the ONE

[This message has been edited by Monty - the one and only (edited 20-07-99).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Well, I haven't seen it...yet. Roll on Wednesday, Savoy screen 1...

As for spoilers, I had it spoiled for me on a mailing list the day after it came out in the states. No warning, just a run down of the plot (used as reference in a nice rant) and capped off with a list of who dies and who doesn't... bugger! But I'll go see it anyway.

SPOILER!!!!
    as far as the death mentioned above. Did you not check out the last two tracks on the soundtrack? It's in the titles...

****'s deathmarch
    ****'s funeral

so it's not really that much of a spoiler.

Now. If someone were to come out and state with certainty that the big suprise of the film is <beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep> and is really <beeeeeeeeeeeep>.

I wouldn't spoil it for you, now would I.. smile.gif

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dadeakacrash

remember guys lucas came up with these films 23 + years ago
    and that the genius kept star wars 4 5 +6 going this long the were that good

and thats all i have to say about that

our life is merely a subway stop on the railway of our existenze

Well said WWW!

Just enjoy the film, tis ace.

Lolth I saw it in Savoy screen 1 also and it rocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

haven't the media already spoiled it anyway?
    i haven't seen it and couldn't be arsed cos i've seen most of it in trailers and "star wars specials" and because i'm not into star wars smile.gif

thats WWM you big fluppety muppety you smile.gif

I went to see it last night aswell in the Savoy, screen 1. If you haven't seen it there, you haven't seen it properly. Each time I go it gets better and better! It still got a cheer at the begining and an applause at the end. Jar Jar Binks is basicly funny, the people in the cinema laughed at his behaviour. This is not something that you would get if he was irriating. Tis a nice opener to the trilogy's

smile.gif

tis okaydeh, hey

[This message has been edited by Monty - the one and only (edited 23-07-99).]

One or two little touches I loved..

It starts with

'a long time ago in a galaxy far far away' - stick with what works!

and the fact that the scenes were divided with that screen-being-wiped effect just like the original. I mean, the tech is there to do seperations a lot better but it wouldn't have the same feel to it...

It got a cheer at the beginning and everyone stayed until the credits finished. I think people liked it...

Just in from seeing it, I thought it was pretty good. Dont go in comparing it to the other three and you will enjoy it - it was better than i was expecting.

Coulda done with a LOT more Darth Maul tho, such a cool character and he was barely used - JarJar was irritating, but not as bad as I was expecting. Just couldnt understand him half the time smile.gif

Very nice special effects, the pod race was particularly cool. And Natalie Portman was as errr... 'watchable' as ever smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Thumbs up. Enjoyed it, but then I enjoy all films on the big screen.

Would I be right in interpreting that Palpatine is the Phantom Menace ?

Natalie Portman.... hmmmmmm.....

You'd be half-way there, Darth Sideous is the Phantom Menace and some people have suggested that Palpatine is Sideous.

The same actor played the two roles, the same as in the original trilogy, something MacDermod I think. The actual truth is totally unkown, Sideous could be a clone of Palpatine or visa versa or they could just be the same person...

And will people stop criticising the movie on the basis that there's not enough Darth Maul... There's a reason for that!

May the force be with you all

• Advertisement

Oh and Natalie Portman?

Don't even start...

SCHWING!

If you went to the Savoy and thought that it was great there, go to the cinema in the Liffy Valley shopping center. Damn, that screen is big. You can see soo much more of whats going on without having to look out especialy for things like the E.T's and the Wookies in the senate chamber. My jaw hit the floor again. I said it before and I'll say it again:
    Star Wars: the Phantom Menace is the best movie in ages

tis okaydeh, hey

[This message has been edited by Monty - the one and only (edited 27-07-99).]

Sorta spoiler questions (if you haven't seen TPM yet)

OK. Confusion here!!!

Palpatine and Darth Sideous are two different people.

Support for that:

At the funeral, Palpatine is standing right beside the entirety of the Jedi council and not one 'feels a disturbance'...

Against that:

1. The trade people spoke to senator Palpatine AND the guy in the black robe.

2. In the second trilogy you have Emperor Palpatine who has stronger powers than Vader (yeah, and that's another thing, how come the emperor terrified vader so much? The dark side is all about the most powerful ruling and according to TPM annakin kicked ass, so Vader would too...hmmm?). Now, say Sideous was different and got chipsed, then how come Palpatine learns to be a Sith lord so quickly?

anyway, film wasn't as good as it COULD have been but it was a kids film and we can't compare it to the thrill we all got when we say the first one - we were kids and it was aimed at us. Now it is aimed at new kids, and by and large they seem to love it.

what is a bloody sith lodr?

i thought the sith bit was a type of race?

as in horns on head etc?

in the end of part 6, who exactly is the emporor. i always thought it was palatine.
    now im getting really confused. especially since people started mentioning clone wars and that everyone is actually everyone else cloned and that they are not even that person and the other person is that person and oh dear im lost!

at the end of Part 6,

there is no emperor as the ex-emperor palpatine (Darth vader's master - and not called Darth Sideous) is ****ed off the edge of a bloody long drop - aw ****, spoiled it..

anyway, if the Emperor was such hot stuff, how come that fall killed him. Couldn't he make himself levitate/hover?

Who cuts off Vader's hand?

J.

it was an early incident involving his son (luke) and a sunday roast carving knife.
    it was lukes fault and so later when vader had had a bad day he decided to seek a little bit of compensation and repay the debt to his son. i think you'll find the bad day happened in the mpire stricks back and the unfortuant recipient just happened to be the young lad who had removed his own hand 17 years earlie. ie luke smile.gif
    phew!

i still want to know who this darth sidioes person is.
    and where does the darth come from?
    you dont see all the goodie goodie jedis going around with the same title. do you?
    unless its another form of master type stuff?

all very interesting for something thats completely made up.
    beats the hell out of that 'could actually happen' ****e from star trek(which is a load of bolox imho)

The Sith lords are supposed to be the polar opposite of the Jedi tho they have much the same training and all to ensure that they kick ass. As Lucas is obssessed with 'balance' they act as the counter balance to the Jedi, and arise every 1000 years (as mentioned in the blurb for TPM) to test the Jedi out and make sure they haven't finally become a bunch of peace-loving hippy w@nkers who need their heads slamming in a door smile.gif

And they're all called Darth X cos it makes them sound well hard smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Castor Troy (edited 26-07-99).]

Well all I know is that the Emperor in Return of the Jedi was played by the same actor who played Senator Palpatine and Darth Sideous in the new film. When TPM came out first in the states, everyone was discussing all this so I suggest someone head over to the discussion boards at theforce.net and come back here and inform us all. I'd do it myself....but I don't want to smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

LoLth,
    in reply to u're question/comment re: paltatine and the council...
    the emperoer's force was never fealt in the
    original films, only vaders...
    that i can remember any way...
    anyone?

"Programming today is a race between software engineers
    striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof
    programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger
    and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I just realised that this thread had no comment from me in it... Hence the reason for this post. cheeky.gif

Advertisement