Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange broadband connection

• 17-09-2004 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hey,
    I ordered broadband free trial and a wireless connection the other week. The package arrived today with no mention of wireless connection. I rang back and asked them about it and they said they forgot to send it out. So I connected the broadband anyway and everything was fine.
    But I disconnected the wires and i was still online! So I plugged out all connections to the router and im still online.
    My laptop couldnt access wireless in the house before i tried!!! Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

the new modem eircon are supplying is actually a wireless router too. i thought i was in the same situation and didnt spot it until after i rang them and told them they didnt send it out. still not online tho they've lost my order three times even after sending me out the equipment. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 davewcelbridge

IF your router is defintely not plugged in, then the only thing that makes sense is that a neighbour has a wireless network, with their DSL shared openly. Your laptop will connect to any available network and automatically configure a defualt gateway too.

If this is the case, be very careful as using someone elses network is kinda illegal.

(I get reception from a neighbours wireless router node in my house, and am on the internet from that now, however i have permission)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 confusednevin

it doesnt make sense though because i couldnt get a wireless connection untill i got the box sent to the house
    :confused:

Advertisement