Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds - Worth It?

Options
  • 17-09-2004 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭

Now, this isn't really a personal question because I'm not going to get grinds. But some people in my class are getting grinds, and I mean... is it worth it, for the Junior Cert? I mean, fair enough for the Leaving Cert but so far all the grinds have been doing is confusing people in maths, saying, "Oh but we do it differently in grinds," and then the teacher has to explain it all over again, etcetera.
    Perhaps by even having to take grinds it makes people get more stressed about the JC, and we all know that can't be good. If you get stressed for the JC, who knows what'll happen for the LC?

So what do you people think, then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

do you mind me asking which subject you're getting grinds in? i know someone giving one on one grinds and she is meant to be really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Um.. I'm not getting grinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

oh sorry didnt read it properly! failing eyesight y'know...

It's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

they are worth it IMO, they got me an A in honours maths for the jc so i was happy enough with that to be honest

• Advertisement

Yeah but I mean is it worth it going to such hassle as to get grinds just for the JC?

This is what people telling me "It means nothing!" repeatedly does to me... mmph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭coconutmonkey

I guess they'll be good in the long run. I mean, if you improve your irish or maths or french or something now, then it'll stick with you till leaving cert, where it actually does matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I guess they'll be good in the long run. I mean, if you improve your irish or maths or french or something now, then it'll stick with you till leaving cert, where it actually does matter.

yeah thats true because alot of the stuff in the leaving is based on the stuff you did in the JC and teachers dont have time to be revising so...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Grinds are only really worth it for JC or LC if it's something you don't understand or you don't like a teacher's method of teaching. At the end of the day you still have to go home and learn the stuff. I know ppl say it's "only the JC" but in my school anyways it's used to stream students for english irish maths and french so better u do in JC better teacher you get for LC and hence better LC (probably)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For the JC, grinds are only really worth it if you're either
    (a) struggling to pass the subject
    (b) stuck with a really crap teacher
    (c) prepared to use the notes once you're out of the grind class.
    They're more useful at LC tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement