Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the Army help the Gardai patrol our streets in order to tackle Crime?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

Oh, I WANT a bad rep. The people in the red are the bravest. They don't follow the pack.

Redleslie2 wrote:
    I'm surprised McDowell hasn't touted the idea of introducing a new paramilitary style force along the lines of France's CRS, who are without doubt the most thuggish looking coppers I've ever come across.
    I was in France, nice place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

This thread is pathetic, suggesting sometime like "Should the Army help the Gardai patrol our streets in order to tackle Crime?" is almost as idiotic as suggesting that we should exterminate all jews.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Personally I would not like to see the army patrol the streets of this country. That is the Guardai's job the army have their own work to do.

BUT

I imagine if you are living in the likes of O'Malley park where rapings and house burning is as routine as allowence day then you might disagree. The guards do a wonderful job, if you are living in a nice affluent area their response time seems to be less than say the likes of O'malley park where, if your lucky, the guards will show up the morning after a call has gone into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The army could be beneficial to us as a police force although unfortunately it does sound like a dictator's answer to policing. IMO The crux of the matter is whether we should use the army as a means for better policing in exchange for a bad image.

I have to say though that the army was never designed to be used as a police force.

My conclusion: The army should be used to backup the gardaí in extreme circumstances but should not be used for any kind of day-to-day activity whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

My conclusion: The army should be used to backup the gardaí in extreme circumstances but should not be used for any kind of day-to-day activity whatsoever.

I'd agree. If the requirement is more men on the street, then its going to be an ongoing need. The logical way to deal with it should be to increase the size of the police-force, rather than try to rope in some superficially-similar-job-role additional force.

jc

Well, the LUAS apparently counts as an extreme circumstance.
    I saw the "Civil Defence" patrolling the Luas stations and the areas around them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

omnicorp wrote:
    Well, the LUAS apparently counts as an extreme circumstance.
    I saw the "Civil Defence" patrolling the Luas stations and the areas around them.

I seriously doubt they were "patrolling" the cival defence arn't the army or the police.

well, they were there... so maybe having a civil defence might help the problem of crime.
    People ARE complaining about it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thread going in circles - CLOSED.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement