Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl taking over...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

Hmmm. I think this tells us more about you than it does about Aldi.(You must have been really worried leaving the Porsche in the the car ark, or did you just use the au pair's old banger?)
    It must be so tough having to shop in a place where you might have to mix with poor people. You'd hate me then,cause I use a wheelchair.
    But you are the sort who would, no doubt, if forced to speak to me, speak very slowly, in a loud voice.
    And such scientific sampling techniques! You wouldn't be aware that research has shown that these stores have been attracting a great growth in ABC1 customers, due to good wines. Their Scotch Malt is simply superb, and I know my malts.In fact heard guy on Newstalk say it comes from one of the two or three most famous distilleries.
    Shopping for famous brand names is not what these stores are about. It's a concept known as value.
    They also use less packaging and thus create less waste than similar products from M&S, Tesco etc.
    And I have cracked how you do your shopping:By the vanload from Harrods and Fortnum and Masons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

seamus wrote:
    To give an example of the clientele, a young guy with a filthy 'tache, scrawny, and that stuck-to-your-head hair was in front of me in the queue, 6 pack of some unnamed beer.
    He turns to me and says "Sorry bud, d'you wha the date is?"
    "24th" I tell him.
    He nods and turns away, but turns back two seconds later.
    "Wha month?"

As Aldi themselves say - "Aldi brand quality is cheaper!"
    To say this another way - "Aldi brands are cheaper quality"

The cheek of him daring to speak to you.

There's nothing wrong with Lidl or Aldi's cheaper brands and from personal experience nothing cheaper about their quality either. There's not much point in us moaning about Rip Off Ireland all the time if when there's a cheaper alternative we are too stuck up to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

"Ich bin Berliner" is what the lad should have said, not "Ich bin ein Berliner". anyway, lidl and aldi are great. it'd be nice if they had a better selection though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Heh, of course they should care. Tbh, I've never been in Lidl or Aldi, but I envision the stacks of huge boxes of dirt cheap own-brand stuff. I prefer quality, but maybe they sell branded stuff, I don't know.

I'm not particularily gone on Lidl's produce, but I've found Aldi's own-brand stuff to be as good as any of the major chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

People who know good food and respect there bodys enough will not shop in lidl. The food they sell is mank. I worked in lidl one summer and can say the way they treat their staff is a disgrace. I did not get paid for two months and even then it was hastle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

seamus wrote:
    Went into Aldi last night. Sorry guys, but it's a dump. I was right with my original analysis.

Some good weekly offers though, which is why I went in. I keep an eye on them (cos they come in the door).

To give an example of the clientele, a young guy with a filthy 'tache, scrawny, and that stuck-to-your-head hair was in front of me in the queue, 6 pack of some unnamed beer.
    He turns to me and says "Sorry bud, d'you wha the date is?"
    "24th" I tell him.
    He nods and turns away, but turns back two seconds later.
    "Wha month?"

As Aldi themselves say - "Aldi brand quality is cheaper!"
    To say this another way - "Aldi brands are cheaper quality"

That has got to be the most patronising post I have seen. Fancy that, someone of lower class talking to you, shock horror. We better get the Gardai onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

They are shops which sell brands that we are not u'st too for example dunnes/tesco etc all sell heinz beans & coca cola.Imagine a day when there is such a discount shop that sells all the known brands!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

seamus wrote:
    Lidl and Aldi will take a huge chunk out of Dunnes and Tesco's market eventually.

They are building a new store right beside Dunnes' cornelscourt centre. To be precise its on the dunnes staff carpark, anyone who knows the area, its the area on the left before the dunnes centre heading northbound on the N11. there is also going to be construction of affordable housing on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

Aldi sells mostly rebranded Brand Products. Easily to identify on the Product Codes.

In Germany there is an officila testing institute (stiftung Warentest), which tests products on a regular basis, and very often Aldi comes out on top in many categories.

There is a whole book in germany available with an exact listing of which big brand is behind which Aldi product. They even wrote cookbooks, just using Aldi Products.

Aldi is the second biggest supermarket chain in the world (behind Wal-Mart), and far bigger then Tesco or any of the other international supermarket brands.

At the beginning in germany Aldi was seen as a shop for the poor and middle class. This has completely changed in the last 10 years. Aldi has become a major supermarket for most germans. Even wealthy people go shopping these days, and openly admit it.

Yes, some shops look nnot very nice (mainly the one in Parnell Street), and if the Albrecht Brothers would see that one, they wouldn`t be all too happy.

Aldi is 100% privately owned. Lidl on the other hand was opened by one of the big german retailchains for later (REWE, which has several more expensive supermarket brands throughout europe) to get a cut of Aldi`s market. And this caused a huge Price War between them, which is still going on 10 years later. That`s maybe the reason that germany has one of the lowest costs of food in europe.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

And to think some people are glad the Germans lost the war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Healio wrote:
    They are building a new store right beside Dunnes' cornelscourt centre. To be precise its on the dunnes staff carpark, anyone who knows the area, its the area on the left before the dunnes centre heading northbound on the N11. there is also going to be construction of affordable housing on the site.

Nice one....I was curious to know what was happening there. How did they get planning persmission for that tho.....there is enough traffic from Dunnes...i can only see that increasing with Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

i'm a convert too. i always thought Lidl was on a par with the likes of Netto, etc in the UK, but its not at all. the prices are similar, but the quality is pretty damn good. cheese, salami, vegetables, preserves, muesli, are all above Dunnes and Tesco and most of the 'reputable' brands we're all used to. feckit, if is costs me €5.00 in petrol to get there and still save €20 on the bill, i'm happy. long live the germans, and down with rip-off ireland!! Can't wait until there's one on the southside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Can't wait until there's one on the southside.
    try lucan ;)

Advertisement