Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are ppl's biggest regrets?

• 17-09-2004 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

If you're willing to share of course

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

My dad had a heart attack 3 years ago and when i went to see him in hospital he gave me a hug and told me that he loved me. It was the first time he ever said that to me (he was a big macho fella), and I couldn't say it back because I was crying too much.

Anyway, he died 2 days later and I never got to tell him that I loved him. I just hope to God that he knew how much I did.

Sorry for being depressing :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Fwaggle wrote:

Sorry for being depressing :o

No need to apologise for being honest mate.

I regret a lot of things, but like yourself the one I regret most is never telling my dad how proud I was of him before he died.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I think regret is good thing, reminds us of missed chances, we know the truth ourselves...

so in future we'll wont miss the opertunities given...

I have plenty of regrets but I wont want to change them as they would change my life today...I happy to say that i come some of the emotion with me but i know I'll never miss those opertunities later in life

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Yeah - I guess regrets are what make us who we are. Kinda keeps us in check and serves as a learning curve. Mine is never having travelled. Both myu folks are still alive thought so I draw inspiration from your regrets & will tell them how I feel about them. Thanks for inspiring me!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

lol one of my regtets would be listening to my friends advice about my debs, they told me not to bring a pair of flat shoes with me to change into later, by god my feet hurt that night, walked home bare footed :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Picking HER instead of *her*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

its a regret im still living out, and i know it 'haunts' a lot of ppl, but I still care what others think. Wish i could just get that 'dont give a sh*t' attitude, but I know it comes with maturity so roll on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Mear wrote:
    its a regret im still living out, and i know it 'haunts' a lot of ppl, but I still care what others think. Wish i could just get that 'dont give a sh*t' attitude, but I know it comes with maturity so roll on..

"a dont give a **** attitude" can be simple way of looking at an event and saying "I know what happened, I know what to do if it happens again but i got to be moving on"

one of my little catch crys

"Fcuk it, lets go!"

ABOVE

Aye i know that, but its the in the moment thing where i'd get embarrased or something like that.. And strangely i've also adopted that cry for certain things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

can i be the odd one out and say i have none, I have lived a perfect life and have no regrets, wouldn't change anything, hope all of you are lucky enough to find the same some day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I was planning on visiting my granddad one evening last April. He had been in hospital for the past week, so I decided I'd go down with my dad. When I went to tell my dad I wanted to go in with him, I found out he'd already gone. I figured "no big deal, I'll just go in some other day, there's plenty of time". Grandad died the following day at six in the morning though, and I'll always regret not having gone in to see him the night before. I hadn't seen him in ages even though he lived quite nearby - I was too busy with my college exams. I agree with what the previous posters said, we do learn a lot from our regrets, just a pity it's too late to fix them then! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I have many small regrets, that add up to one big one!

like today! i made a mistake and connected my computer incorrectly and burned the hard drive!

why why! I couldn't focus more on it! while I was building it, I was thinking about jay leno show instead of the computer and bam!

If i could only turn back time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Picking HER instead of *her*
    Or not picking her ... and the other one ... and the other one .. and the one form the shop ....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Not taking chance, not taking hints, as well as taking hints that were not there... hmm been totally blind to things can be good.

Talking too much about my personal life on the interweb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

i regret not doing my leaving cert and going to college to get a good career for myself.
    but its a good regret if that makes sense as if i had done those things i wouldnt have met my better half and we wouldnt have our son..
    now he's starting school so hopefully next year ill go back also and finish off my education...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

You should only regret the things you haven't done yet.

ohh shutup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have one main philosiphy in life - no regrets.

No matter how bad things turned out, you can't look back and say "if only...". I feel that whatever decision you made, at the time you made it, it was the right thing to do. You can't go back and change it, so why torture yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

i've often tried to shape my life to be free of regrets too...but it's never completely perfect. there's always a "her", or a chance you missed or something you didn't follow up... but romances aside my only major regret is some scars i wouldn't have if i was given the choice again.

passive wrote:
    i've often tried to shape my life to be free of regrets too...but it's never completely perfect. there's always a "her", or a chance you missed or something you didn't follow up... but romances aside my only major regret is some scars i wouldn't have if i was given the choice again.

Oh man! missed chances = The King of Regrets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

When I was in school, some other kids came to me and asked me to tell a teacher that one of the girls was making herself sick every lunchtime. I wanted to find out for myself and waited once. She didn't show. I never brought it any further, but I always suspected she was and hasn't stopped. I don't know her well enough to bring it up now, since we're both out of school. I just wish I'd tried harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭MazdaMan

Regrets, I have had a few, but it would wind me up too much to mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

When I was in school, some other kids came to me and asked me to tell a teacher that one of the girls was making herself sick every lunchtime. I wanted to find out for myself and waited once. She didn't show. I never brought it any further, but I always suspected she was and hasn't stopped. I don't know her well enough to bring it up now, since we're both out of school. I just wish I'd tried harder.

i hope u never lost any good sleep over that , i dunno how i would cope myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hmm altho most of the stuff is pretty sad I'm glad I started the thread.......def gonna tell my parents how much they mean to me and how much i appreciate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

embee wrote:
    that rules YORE MA out, then.

mine is not telling this chick how i felt. i'm sure there'll be plenty more oppertunities... i still regret being such a pussy though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Shoulda studied harder in school, shoulda studied harder in college, shoulda taken the last job I was offered instead of the last one I picked, etc. But fu*k it. Your choices make you who you are, and you'll hopefully learn something from them. No point in dwelling on the past - you can't turn the clock back. Enjoy what you got, 'cos you won't have time to wonder 'What if..' when you get hit by that bus.

Just my cheery 2c worth. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

embee wrote:

That makes no sense whatsoever BTW... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

ChipZilla wrote:
    That makes no sense whatsoever BTW... :rolleyes:

The idea is that you shouldn't regret anything you have done in life. because no matter what the scenario, you learn something from it.

Only regret the things that you haven't done, because sometimes you are just imposing limitations on yourself that stops you from experiencing everything you want to.

Sleepin wit my ex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I've always said that I would rather look back on my deathbed and regret the things I did do rather than the ones I was afraid to do, hopefully I'll be able to live up to that..

So far I have to say that I don't really regret anything, I have moments when I wonder what might have been had I made different decisions in my life, but not regrets. Everything that happens is always for the best, although how that's true may not always be apparent at the time..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

not answering the phone the morning monica rang me,

she then commited suidide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Im surprised no one mentioned smoking yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

breaking up with my ex

wasting a year in UCD

forgiving a friend for summat awful

not saving enough for rent over the summer

drinking too much when i was 16 and having a horrible sexual experience

drinking too much

telling my mother i attempted suicide because of her

having a a mcdonalds yesterday

lying to my friends

sleeping with the wrong boys.

not beliving in love enough

breaking up with my ex

wasting a year in UCD

forgiving a friend for summat awful

not saving enough for rent over the summer

drinking too much when i was 16 and having a horrible sexual experience

drinking too much

telling my mother i attempted suicide because of her

having a a mcdonalds yesterday

lying to my friends

sleeping with the wrong boys.

not beliving in love enough

Most of them apply to me too which is odd. except maybe the lying to friends one and the UCD bit. Interesting how ppl can end up regretting same things, u'd think we'd have learned by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

My biggest regret is not following up with my gut feeling that something terrible was troubling a friend because of the way he was acting - the day he commited suicide. I always think .... if I had just followed him and talked to him.... what if ...... would it have made a difference , now I'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I know regrets are somewhat a key part in anyone's life but at the end of the day it all boils down to one sentence. "Hindsight is a beautiful thing". And it is. 'Right' and 'Wrong' choices? no such thing when it comes to living your life. You choose whatever seems the best approach at the time you chose. Its like betting, very easy if you knew the score.

TO those people who lost friends/family because the felt they didn't do enough, Don't dare blame yourself, if you could have done anything those people would have have given you a better chance to do it. Let go, move on and most importantly learn from it.

I'm a firm beleiver in 'to know where your going you need to know where you came from' i.e. knowing history influences the future. dwell on history tho, and you'll miss the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

Daddy? yes son! .....what does regret mean? Well son, a funny thing about regret is, its better to regret something you have done then something you haven't done & by the way, if you see your mom next weekend be sure & tell her SATAN SATAN SATAN

Orbital rock! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

heh, I was just thinking of that tune when I saw this thread. Only time I was ever involved in a car accident was in a mates car and that tune was blasting on the stereo when we went off the road :eek: Probably should've put on some ABBA or somethin instead..

I do have a few regrets but I also look at it like a learning curve. At least (in most cases) if you regret something you recognise it was a mistake or could have been handled better and can learn from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

I don't have many and those I do are from action rather inaction...

I have regretted lying to those I love
    @Silent Grape: not beliving in love enough
    I have regretted believing in love too much

But I feel fortunate learning from those hard lessons, though it may seem ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Battlesnake

Putting the needs of others before my own *way too much*

Sometimes I regret trusting too much in the goodness of humanity, because lets face it there are some assholes out there. But then I remember all the cool people I have met and realise that if I'd been more guarded they wouldn't have been there either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

not a ****ing thing...

not a ****ing thing...

now that's a spirit! way to go my friend! way to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention. I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption - well maybe repeating first class - now that was dumb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Older & Wiser

Slapping my kids.

I'm a harsh man and never knew any other way.
    It's what I grew up with.
    Now every night, and I do mean every night, I think about it in bed.

I wish I could turn the clock back, but I can't it's too late and nothing I ever do will undo it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Not walking out of work and never coming back. I'm regretting it right now. I'll be regretting it in 6 months time. 4 years of a degree to do a job an untrained monkey could do for pathetic money. Arrrgh.

Ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

One of my biggest regrets is failing Programming (Java) in my Multimedia course in Tipperary. I want to be in second year!! :(

Advertisement