Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some info

Options
  • 17-09-2004 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

im not too sure on the rules..but since this isnt illegal i guess ill ask

ive just bought a Motorola V220...(my first phone in about 8 years..so im not sue how far things have come lol)

i believe u are allowed to purchase games/truetones/polyphonic ring tones and themes (thats what im after)...can anybody recommend a site they use ( surely i can ask this cant i, as i am paying?..if not delete it :rolleyes: )

but can you recommened me some good sites because ive just found one and its like £4.50 for 1 ring tone..are they really that expensive?!..i dont want to be ripped off :( in my day of mobiles you got like...5 mono tones and lived with it ..and they weighed a tonne :p so i need to catch up

hope this threads ok and i can get some help :D

just found a red dwarf and a bbc snooker one.. :eek: ..ive gotta find out how you buy these :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yeah just got new phone myself and was shocked at the rip offs for ringtones Irish providers are trying to charge.

Anyways after a few minutes on Google I found a few sites that provide MIDI tones for free. You click the tune as a link and it tells you the code. You then go to the WAP address shown, enter the code and the tone (as a file) d/ls to your handset. All you pay for is the per KB d/l fee (O2 charges 3c per Kb).

You can do this for wallpapers too, and probably for games (although I've yet to find a good site).
    Also lot of free java s/w out there if that's your thing.

All this is legal: the amount of peple out there apying the crazy rates for ringtones just pay cos they don't know any better or haven't got access to the net or something.

I'll post a link or 2 in a few when I find them from my favourites file...

[edit] k here we are
    http://www.free-ringtones.eu.com/top_free_polyphonic_ringtones.htm

There's a LOT of tones on that site.

Also here's a wallpaper/image site:
    http://www.free-nokia-wallpapers.com/

Note that if you have a data cable for your phone you can d/l tones and upload em to your phone that way. Same with images.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

www.polyphonicringtonez.com/wap .oads of free poly ringtones just pay for GPRS/wap usage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Another thing to bear in mind, it would really be frowned upon here if someone was to suggest a file sharing utility where one would type "polyphonic ringtones" or "java games" or "phone themes" so I won't, OK! ;)

Also if you were to do that and use a data cable to connect your phone to the PC where the files resided - thus saving oneself a fortune - that too would be frowned upon.

So DON'T DO IT right !

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

hmm ive got a usb cable but im having big problems with the drivers..if you look up the Motorola V220 usb drivers on google..you get loads of people asking where they are or what to do..coz motorola kindly doesnt support us with a usb cable or any cd (luckily my MD player has a cable so im ok there :D)

i tried downloading...erm, p2kman and PST or something...i got the mobile phone tool for getting tones...but the bloody thing installs my phone as a modem..and my phone isnt even listed..unless i need to find a new patch..but all in all its been a pretty unsuccessful day..hence the only reason i considered buying them... :rolleyes:

yep i have NO IDEA ..what your talking about ;) ..but like i said..without these damn drivers i cant do anything :(

Infra red and Bluetooth connections are even more frowned upon ;) You wouldn't dream of using them for anything illegal now would you ?

ZEN

• Advertisement

afraid its usb and only usb here..i think :confused:

i dont believe in paying the likes of £250 for a phone..with all that stuff..£130 hurt enough...i only got it to download games and have mp3 tones..gives me summat to do at uni when im bored and the laptops dead ;)

sodding drivers

*calling all v220 owners...help this mobile n00b* ..put it this way..my first/last phone was a 5110 ..i have a lot of catching up to do :eek:

Are you sure you need "drivers", when the cd installed the modem connection did it set up a serial connection to the phone.

Have a good look at any of the utils it installed I'd bet there is something there similar to the PCSuite for Nokia thingy that will allow you send files to the fone. My son has the CD somewhere from his moto - I'll check it tomorrow and see what happens!

ZEN

EDIT// Moto's site mentions something called "Mobile Phone Tools (either PC620 or PC820)" - ring any bells? (jeezuz that was awful !!)

Have you read the FAQ's on their site - they answer the question about your phone not being "supported"

http://direct.motorola.com/eng/supportselect.asp?country=GBR&language=ENG&productid=29213 select FAQ's and it's question 9 !!

ZEN

the tossers dont seem to give us v220 users a cd ...i told youve ive had to google some apps..motorola aint helping..ill try this mobile phone tool changer though..althogh im not finding any options about uploaded pics or tones :(

there piss poor attempt of changing phones hasnt helped...as my phone doesnt even exist according to there list..so i wont be able to get a pic of mine up :(

im gonna see if theres a new update that has new phones on..this is getting on my tits..i thought it was plug it in and away :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I have a moto v525, and it has bluetooth. I can download songs (legally of course!!!!!) and send them across, a bluetooth adapter starts at 25 euro, and it'll play the realtunes.

If ya need any help, just PM me

• Advertisement

welllll

we have progress
    albeit minor
    ...updated mobile PhoneTools...and now it actually recognises my phone..brings up a little pic..but now its saying its not connected..when its sat here..connected

..sigh i got all excited then..thanks for the offer if i struggle much longer i may be tempted to get a bluetooth adapter..

look at this stupid thing..now thats all he will do...im guessing usb drivers? does anyone here know where to get them from..i need to leave it for the night...hes 7hrs old and i already want to throw it at the wall :confused:

Wertz wrote:
    [edit] k here we are
    http://www.free-ringtones.eu.com/top_free_polyphonic_ringtones.htm

There's a LOT of tones on that site.

Also here's a wallpaper/image site:
    http://www.free-nokia-wallpapers.com/

ive just been on there...how long does it take to visit the wap site..coz i left it for like a minute and it still said connecting...also i tried a game and my phone isnt even in the list even though it supports downloadable java games..does it matter if i just click Motorola..blah blah even if it aint my phone?

(oh and ive still got a bloody not connected thing..sigh no usb drivers :mad: )

I don't think you mentioned what version (if any) of Windows you are using. What happens when you un plug the phone and plug it back in? Does the computer acknowledge the new added hardware?

Does Device Manager show any new devices when the phone is connected?

Does the phone software have a preference panel to configure it ? Does it mention anything about Speed or connection type?

I can't see this being a driver issue, the system would have asked if it was.
    .sigh i got all excited then..thanks for the offer if i struggle much longer i may be tempted to get a bluetooth adapter..

I thought the phone didn't have bluetooth !!

ZEN

xp pro

when i plug the phone in (wait ill do it now)..it use to acknowledge it..now it doesnt do anything...
    hmm in device manager i have under modems Motorola Phone and Motorola USB Modem... :confused:

cant find anything about speed or connection or anything like that..they both claim to be working...just..they aint...you gotta help me im on the verge of paying :eek:

as for the blue tooth adapter..i dunno hell i told u the last time i got a phone was a 5110 ..been a while :( i dont know if this has bluetooth or not..i probably should check the book...ive never read it, i didnt buy it for bluetooth..or the camera :confused:

never mind! all sorted

found a site:

http://www.cbfmobile.com/

and if u click on the wap thing on the right it lets u upload any files that you may happen to have acquired anywhere...and it only costs you to download em again..5 tones 1 of which is 9min lol..cost me £1...w00t :D

now 1 final question...do all games that support java games all play the same games..like if you came across a load of .jad files...for instance that were for a nokia..would they work on a motorola...hyperthetical of course..but if this did happen to happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

Had same problem with phonetools and a v535 - can send files by bluetooth by right clicking on them in my docs and sending. at the same time as it is connected to do that, mobile phonetools cannot find the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

The V220 doesn't have bluetooth!

Advertisement