Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD piracy.

Options
  • 03-09-1999 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Whats the story with that? I know that DVD-RAMS are a bit on the expensive side, but can they be copied straight or is there some sort of encoding on them? Are the current DVDs that are used for films the 4.9gig type?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

afaik dvds are 9.5 gigs a side
    whgich by my incredable mathmatical skills works out to be about 19 gigs a disc for flippies.
    never heard of a 4.9 gig one though?
    maybe im just outta touch with the whole technology buzz sad.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Naw the smaller 4.9GB DVD's are single layer. The 9.8GB (Mor like 9 I think) are Dual layer and therefore could be 18GB's + when using both sides. Most Flippers are Single layer with half the film on each side. A **** load of Region 2DVD's are flippers and should be avoided at all costs.

Gandalf.

(BTW avoided this DVD stuff at all costs. I'm hooked, I'm just about to buy a DVD Player and a full Dolby Digital Surround Sound A/V Reciever and 5.1 Speaker kit, TAKE IT WALLET tongue.gif)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

A good quality dts will cost in and around a grand! They you have to get a good TV to make it worth it, a DVD player and also a good VCR for the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Wrong,

If you shop around the DTS gear will cost less than that. Buy separates not kits. I have priced up A/V Recievers, Satillite Speakers, Centre Speakers, Rear Surround and a sub-woofer.

I'm getting a mod'ed DVD player from the UK and when I have all that I'll be buying (Just after xmas) a 100hz Widescreen Telly, probally 32" smile.gif

Gandalf.

Advertisement