Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should explorer.exe need access to the Internet?

Options
  • 17-09-2004 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Zonealarm keeps giving me alerts that explorer.exe wants access to the net, but it's never done this before. I'm not even using the shell to go online... i'm using mozilla.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Does it make a difference if you reject it access?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

No, it doesn't seem to.

Come to think of it, it's only happened really since I went SP2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I get it randomly asking to connect to an IP address and always stop it. No effect that I've noticed at all. I'm not on SP1 or 2 by the way. So ban away I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Did you do a whois on the IP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Na I don't really care once I block it. If I think of it and it happens, which is unlikely to occur together I'll look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭MazdaMan

After installing SP2 were "Automatic Updates" selected. If so the when connected. IE will automatically search for updates, this is where the request comes from.

Open Control panel. Go into Security Centre, then set Automatic updates to Off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

No, cos auto update works even if i block it.

BTW, the ip it tries to get to is 192.168.11.1 (my router) or 255.255.255.255 (don't ask me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

explorer.exe wants access to the internet if you use it as a web browser, that is if you type urls into its address bar and press enter it becomes like internet explorer

so the ip it tries to reach should vary with the url entered, unless you are using a proxy or similar in which case the ip will always be that of the proxy

even though you are not using the shell to go online you must remember that this is windows we are talking about

I would block it and only if necessary then leave it through (after a virus and adware scan)

Advertisement