Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bootable CD's

Options
  • 17-09-2004 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

I have 'sourced' a copy of Win XP Pro, but the problem is that it isn't booting. Whenever I need to reinstall Windows (Averages 3 times a year... I hate Microsoft :o ) I have to install Win 98, and then convert to NTFS and then install XP... a nightmare.

Any way I can get the CD to boot?

And no, I dont have access to the bootable copy anymore

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you have a licenced copy of windows XP PRO then you should be able to order a replacement media from microsoft for about €36
    (if it's oem then you may indeed have a problem since M$ probably won't support it - but hey owning copyright means you can dictate any terms you want)

If you don't then you are stuck with Windows 98.

And yes there are several simple ways around an XP cd not booting, but if you don't have the original cert of authority then it's WAREZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭MazdaMan

Here is some info on creating a bootable XP disk if you have SP 1 or 2. It also has additional info on creating a standalone boot disk for XP on the links at the bottom of the page

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Thanks for that MazdaMan, i'll look it up

and midnight... dropping hints must not wrk with your. It is an ILLEGAL COPY!

One small problem. Nero needs the original CD to take the boot sector from, and i dont have it.

Any more suggestions?

What error does it give with the CD you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tbh a non bootable copy of xp means warez i dunno why this hasn't been closed yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I have pirated copies of most Windows OS'. Never had a problem. It sounds like you have an "upgrade" version of XP, rather than the standard version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Fenster wrote:
    I have pirated copies of most Windows OS'. Never had a problem. It sounds like you have an "upgrade" version of XP, rather than the standard version.
    nah. just sounds like a ****ty quality copy (drag and drop the files rather than disc to disc copy)
    you can extract the boot image from windows 2000 and use it if you have a proper copy of that afaik (well the xp boot image works with 2000 anyway :D )

Who knows?

I still say its an "upgrade" version as you need 98 or 2k already installed to install it.

A mate of mine has the same copy, and he's able to install it purely onto a second hard drive when he boots from the 1st... indicating that it isn't an upgrade edition

• Advertisement

Weird. Did you try his copy?

A mate of mine has the same copy

never have i seen pirate material be so freely discussed on boards :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

If you dont have any operating system whatsoever on your disks then XP needs another OS disc to make sure your eligable for install. If your cd isnt booting at all then get someone elses copy and see if it gets a boot for you. Or go into your BIOS and see what you pc boots from...If your BIOS is any way good then i would suggest changing your primary boot to a cd rom and try it then. if that fails then go back into the BIOS and restore defaults or whatever you had before...

FFS buy a copy of XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

If you dont have any operating system whatsoever on your disks then XP needs another OS disc to make sure your eligable for install. If your cd isnt booting at all then get someone elses copy and see if it gets a boot for you. Or go into your BIOS and see what you pc boots from...If your BIOS is any way good then i would suggest changing your primary boot to a cd rom and try it then. if that fails then go back into the BIOS and restore defaults or whatever you had before...

FFS buy a copy of XP.

Yeah that's exactly it. Like the way old Office 95 was, when you installed it on say a fresh install it asked for the original Disk 1 from an older set.

The irrititating is that even with a legit copy, even when you slipstream and SP into, it would be nice to not have to get out the Win98SE disc for reinstalls, but that's an upgrade for you.

XP must go for 300 or so for "full" non-upgrade version....

If you're a student you can pick up XP and Office XP for dirt cheap (check Dabs).

Who are we to say whether it's an illegal version or not. There may be a suspicion but, in a democracy we cannot judge.

Innocent until proven guilty, and that is the mantra that democracy lives by.

Let he who is without sin throw the first stone.

Think about that before you reply. Mr Cr3m0

I'm sorry, I'm new to Boards, I didn't know that this topic was frowned upon.

I'll post no more replies in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

1. The upgrade version will still boot by itself, it will just ask for a ME/98 cd before installing.
    2. It is as easy as dragging and dropping the files from the orignial XP cd to a blank cd, no fancy copy protection.
    3. Read the charter snap.

I sound like a mod :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm sorry, I'm new to Boards, I didn't know that this topic was frowned upon. I'll post no more replies in this thread.
    don't wory, all will be forgiven (probably). you just need to be aware that as an irish site boards.ie is liable to irish law regarding pirated software, and while free speech abounds in the emerald isle, once people start to openly discuss these things, the place will become awash with warez questions and requests for cracks etc. etc. which sooner or later will come to the attention of the authorities and at the very least leave us all (as an online community) with a bad reputation, and at worst possibly result in the whole site being taken down (if you have any doubt see SHAREREACTOR which did not host any warez themselves, but helped people to get them via edonkey and such) altogether.

so we're a self policiing community, and it works well most of the time. just heed the warnings of the mods, and if in doubt, just ask. there is a CHARTER at the top of each forum so you know what is and isn't allowed to be posted there.

that said, welcome to boards.ie. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Ciaran500 wrote:
    2. It is as easy as dragging and dropping the files from the orignial XP cd to a blank cd, no fancy copy protection.
    its that easy if you want a non booting copy.
    do a proper copy in nero or whatever if you want it to boot

Once again, I am sorry.

I am a user for less than a week, and didn't know there was a charter.
    I stick to legitimate topics from now on.

Thanks

• Advertisement

MazdaMan wrote:
    Who are we to say whether it's an illegal version or not. There may be a suspicion but, in a democracy we cannot judge.

he quoted saying he has the same copy as his mate.

he also quoted it doesn't boot.

these quotes lead me to believe that it is an illegal copy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally Posted by MazdaMan
    Copyrighted Software is Licensed not sold, this means the user has virtually no rights. in fact the ELUA has changed in some patches and updates.
    Also the way the US is able to pressurise the EU to patent software against the wishes of the people would cast doubt on this
    If you have the SW it is up to you to prove a license, not the BSA to show you don't have one, so you DO NOT have a presumption of innocence once you are shown to have SW.

There's plenty of opensource users on the unix forum, I'm sure of them Could oblige.

Advertisement