Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB on a 2nd computer.

• 18-09-2004 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, we have BB with UTV. I have it on a laptop and another laptop needs to be connected at the same time. What is the cheapest and most practical sollution to achieve this? Neither laptop has a lan card as far as I know.

Please mention where I can get the requirements for the cheapest price.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

http://www.outletpc.com/c0204.html
    easyiest option would probably be pc to pc via usb and setup ics [wizard for it in windows xp]

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006LHMB/qid=1095523512/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_etk-electronics/104-2254507-1344744?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282
    but a better option might be to get usb ethernet adapters and buy a router

last option would be a wirelss router and wireless pcmcia cards i guess

im not to well up o these things but i reckon there your 3 options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for feedback.
    So what exactly is the process? What would I be connecting to what and what wires would be going where?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

will the laptops be in the same area? Do they need to be connected together to form a LAN?

UTV will give you a dual usb/ethernet router if you request it, you have to pay extra though, but that would give you two connection points. I don't know if they have wireless routers, but you could buy one with 3 PCMIA cards for about 150-200 or so in any of the major computer stores. and then use the wireless cards in your laptops..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just a point for you to think about - given that you are both using laptops it might be worth considering the wireless route, even though it would obviously cost you, but you would then have the advantage of being able to avail of the increasing number of wireless hotspots around the place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

It's very very simple -

get 2 X Wireless PCMCIA cards, 11mbps will do - 34euro each
    1 wireless access point. - 65uro
    Total - 133

Plug the rj45 connector (ethernet connector) from your UTV modem into the wireless access point.
    Put the PCMCIA wireless cards in the laptops and install with the driver provided.
    Wholla....

prices taken from www.marx-computers.com
    you may even find cheaper if you shop around / buy 2nd hand of boards.
    expect to pay 40 euro for access point and 20 for cards secondhand. :)

good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I just use 2 wireless network cards. Have my home machine connected directly to the internet using the modem. Then I enable Internet Connection Sharing on the modem, and access the internet on my laptop using the wireless link.

You'll need to have home computer switched on and plugged into net for this to work but it saves you the cost of access point/router. And if you want to use laptop without having computer switched on you can always just use the modem :)

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will go with Egans suggestion. Seems very simple and if I can get them off boards, it will be even better. So this will also mean I will be able to use wireless access points? Could be very handy.

Thank you.

Now.. any particular make or model to look out for or will any do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

egan007 wrote:
    Plug the rj45 connector (ethernet connector) from your UTV modem
    The UTV modem doesn't have an ethernet/rj45 connector - it's a USB only box.

cormie wrote:
    Hi, we have BB with UTV. I have it on a laptop and another laptop needs to be connected at the same time. What is the cheapest and most practical sollution to achieve this? Neither laptop has a lan card as far as I know.

Please mention where I can get the requirements for the cheapest price.
    Thank you.

Now that you have more or less it seems decided on wireless tell us how much you are willing to spend and the clued in people on here will be only too happy to suggest actual products for you to consider - you are keeping it a bit vague otherwise.

Ripwave wrote:
    The UTV modem doesn't have an ethernet/rj45 connector - it's a USB only box.

Now what do I do? What are my options?

I am willing to spend €134 anyway. I'd prefer to get them 2nd hand for about €80 of course.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    I am willing to spend €134 anyway.
    You can't do it for €134, because that equipment won't work with the modem supplied by UTV.

You'll need to replace the modem as well.

This looks like a good deal:
    http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=2931

(The DSL-604T is a replacement modem, with wired ports and wireless. It comes with 1 free PCMCIA wireless card, and uses the faster 54Mbps 802.11G standard. The only drawback is that it is wireless only - if you ever upgrade to NTL or a wireless broadband service, then you won't be able to use this device any more. The advantage is that you only need a single powersupply, because this is a DSL modem/router, switch and Wireless Access Point all in a single package).

With a second wireless card, that would come to about €160 plus P&P. If either of your laptops could use an ethernet connection, then you'd probably get it for less than the €134 you were prepared to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

If the computers are in the same room,all you need is a wire that goes into the back of your broadband modem.

If the computers are in the same room,all you need is a wire that goes into the back of your broadband modem and into the back of the other pc.

Tipp boy, the modem only has a usb connection and one for the phone line. Is this still possible? What wire do I need?

I put a request in the for sale forum for egans suggestion.

here is the thread

What do you think of the offer for €65? Will it work? What else would I need? Or what would I need for it to work? Would I need a new modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Don't think Tipp boy's suggestion is possible. If you had two ethernet cards you could use a crossover cable to network the two, but if you don't have ethernet cards already your best bet is to pay the few extra quid for wireless network cards.

cormie wrote:
    Will it work? What else would I need? Or what would I need for it to work? Would I need a new modem?
    You'd need a new modem.

What modem would I need? Anyone care to swap? Any modem would work on the UTV connection I take it yeah?

cormie wrote:
    What modem would I need? Anyone care to swap? Any modem would work on the UTV connection I take it yeah?
    Any DSL modem that has an ethernet interface would work (the one supplied by UTV doesn't, which is the only reason that it won't work).

If you have to buy a modem, plus a wireless access point, then the DSL-604T that I referred to above is probably your best bet. It is a modem and a wireless acess point in a single box, and includes one free wireless card for your laptop. If you want to try to buy gear second hand, then you might find someone who got DSL from eircom or IOL/ESAT who is selling the dual ethernet/USB modem supplied with those services. Either of these devices (the Netopia Cayman or the ZyXEL Prestige 623-T1) will provide an ethernet connection, and you could plug a standalone wireless access point into either of them.

But the ony reason for going down that route is if you expect to switch to NTL or wireless broadband sometime soon, and don't want to buy "DSL only" gear. The cost of each of the individual bits, even second hand, won't be much cheaper than buying the 604T new.

thanks for the reply

Can I just swap my Zyxel 630 for an IOL ESAT modem and my utv will work with them and their modem will work with the wireless. Are yourself and Egan suggesting the same thing? Whats the difference?

cormie wrote:
    thanks for the reply

Can I just swap my Zyxel 630 for an IOL ESAT modem and my utv will work with them
    By default, the IOL modem is configured as a router. If you get a wireless access point that is also a router, it will be simpler to reconfigure the IOL modem as a "bridge" than getting two routers to work together. (It's not hard to do, but it's another step that can go wrong and cause confusion).
    and their modem will work with the wireless.
    It's more a question of "will the wireless work with their modem" - the whole point is that you can access DSL with any modem, but not all modems will allow you to connect a Wireless Access Point to them.
    Are yourself and Egan suggesting the same thing? Whats the difference?
    The main difference is that Egan didn't take into account the modem that UTV supplies, so his solution won't work as posted. Until you replace the modem, Egans advice is useless. Once you decide to replace the modem, then the question isn't "which modem do I need to work with Egans advice", it is "do I get an all-in-one modem/router/wireless device or do I get this bit here and that bit there, and spend 2 weeks trying to figure out how to make them work".

Given that you have to ask, I'd strongly recommend against the do-it-yourself approach.

• Advertisement

Hi, just reverting back to that other thread (here) Is that a good offer and will it work (gamers offer)

thanks

cormie wrote:
    Hi, just reverting back to that other thread (here) Is that a good offer and will it work (gamers offer)

thanks

Cormie,

You are heading for untold trouble for yourself. People on here dont have endless time to answer relentless questions. Ripwave has been very generious in answering your questions to date and is giving you excellent advice - take it if you can - things will be so much simpler for you that way.

dub45 wrote:
    Cormie,

You are heading for untold trouble for yourself. People on here dont have endless time to answer relentless questions. Ripwave has been very generious in answering your questions to date and is giving you excellent advice - take it if you can - things will be so much simpler for you that way.
    I know and I'm very grateful. I'm also very confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Cormie, just buy one of these or the one that Ripwave recommended. It contains all the devices you need in one unit. No need for separate modems etc. Get a wireless card for your laptop if it doesn't already have one, and that's it. Problem solved. You are making this a lot more complicated than it really is.

EDIT: The one that Ripwave recommended comes with a wireless card for your laptop, so just get that one. It's a good deal.

cormie wrote:
    I know and I'm very grateful. I'm also very confused.

Thats understandable but its all the more reason to pause, take a deep breath and read some of the replies you got especially Ripwaves. You seem more anxious to hawk your UTV modem around than to try and clear up the confustion for yourself. (And I do realise that you want to do things as cheaply as possible)

It is most unlikely that anyone will be interested in swapping a modem with an ethernet connection for your UTV one - most people sooner or later want to upgrade from that type of modem because of the limitations that you are now discovering that it has - sorry to give you the bad news:rolleyes:

If you buy an all in one unit (as Ripwave suggested and he has even given you a model to consider) it is so much easier to set up and maintain especially for an obvious beginner like yourself so that will save you an awful lot of bother. (And you can always look for help on here anyways with the set up :D

And dont forget the secondhand route has the downside of no comeback on any stuff you buy that might go wrong after a short time.

I dont think my suggestion will work if your broadband is going through your phoneline.If you have a socket in the back of your broadband modem that is not being used (socket in the shape of a phone socket) then it is possbile.Its a gray wire i dont know the name of it cause it just came with the modem when it was got.

Advertisement