Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant visit websites after a while!

Options
  • 18-09-2004 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I've noticed this problem since day 1 of being connected!

Sometimes when the DSL has been left on for a long time, I cant visit any sites whatsoever, however, my IRC, P2P and (sometimes) gaming traffic gets through fine, but I just can't visit any sites until I restart my comp.

Just wondering has this been happening to anyone else and what can I do to stop it!

Also I notice that it happens sometimes after I've just been downloading using Ares!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

you're on IOL arent you? and using the Zyxel modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I suppose I should have mentioned that :S

Yes, Im on IOL and am using the Zyxel Modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I get that problem!!!!

See my post just below. It really annoys me and as yet I am unsure what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Yeah I get this too. Im on eircom broadband. To fix it I look for updates on ad-aware. For some reason this makes it work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

FWIW I get this problem too sometimes, i noticed its not as bad if i DONT set the modem to "nailed up connection", and allow it to disconnect after an idle period. To me it seems to be a problem with the modem passing DNS requests to the IOL server? i'm not entirely sure...
    For me, resetting the modem does the trick, or if if drops the WAN connection and reconnects it seems to be ok.

Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Was happening to me but solved it by entering IOL's DNS server addresses in the TCP/IP settings for the Local Area Connection.

(don't have the addresses to hand but go to help.iol.ie and you should find them there)

Advertisement