Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Error - Cannot Copy: Cyclic Redundancy Check

• 18-09-2004 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Any idea why I'd have a problem copying files from laptop HD to new Maxtor external HD? The laptop drive is kinda cramped (so no defrag in ages) but under 2 years old.

I'm copying large folders across and it finds particular photos, mp3s, etc. with something wrong with them and stops the copy. It can't seem to open them now and makes the HD starting ticking rythmically non-stop. I can get over the damaged file but I'd like to know why random 'safe' files suddenly become corrupt enough not to even copy over?

Error message is as title says.

Using XP Home no SPs as of yet...

Thanks in advance. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Try rebooting and then copy a few files at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Your laptop hard drive is failing.

If I were you I'd copy all the data off it (in small chunks) and then get it replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I have - the same ones seem to be screwed. If it sheds any light I think most (all?) of them have been compressed - not by me - but by windows as their filename is in blue writing. That's what that stands for right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yes, blue (as standard) means a compressed file in XP. Green means it's encrypted.

Not sure why your corrupt files are showing up in blue though.

They're not the only ones in blue, they're mostly surrounded by other blues files. I'm guessing they were compressed because they're not accessed much. Just wondering if the compression would explain the problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) is used to check the consistency of compressed files winrar and I think winzip uses it. If you get a crc error it means the file is corrupt.

Yeah but any idea why certain rarely used file - e.g. 1 in 400 photos that all worked when last checked - would suddenly become corrupt? And this has happened about 5 times today for different random files, as I copy big directories across to the external HD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Bri wrote:
    Yeah but any idea why certain rarely used file - e.g. 1 in 400 photos that all worked when last checked - would suddenly become corrupt? And this has happened about 5 times today for different random files, as I copy big directories across to the external HD?

Could be the IDE connector? I had a nasty problem like that on an old desktop. Turned out the IDE lead was the culprit.

How exactly would I check that for a laptop?! Hope your wrong but thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

try a scan disk.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

I get a cyclic redundancy error whenever i try to transfer a few gigs from one disk to another. Taking your stuff across say a couplt of hundred megs at a time generally works. Scratched cd's also cause this problem.

The file corruption is a serious pain in the ass. If the original icon for an exe is missing then it is corrupted...or so i have seen. I dont think you can do much about corrupted files. Just back up important stuff like personal info or photos and scrap programs.

Advertisement