Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Code 46

• 18-09-2004 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

This has to be the best sci-fi film I've seen in a while. Rather than going for mad, "futuristic" special effects, they filmed it in present day locations and the people wear ordinary clothes, it's just like today's life except that there are bits of new technology around the place that we don't have, there are laws about genetics and who you're allowed to have kids with and the already existing divide between the first and third worlds has become deeper. It's one of the few sci-fi worlds that look convincong rather than being unrealistically clean and shiny.

The story is cool, a bit Philip K. Dick-like and the characters are done well - realistic dialogue that makes them individuals rather than cheesy stereotypes. There's also some interesting psychological repercussions emanating from some of the acts caried out by the characters, Freud fans might be interested! I won't go into any more detail as it's too much hassle making spoiler tags but I'd be interested to see what other people thought of this.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I saw it about five weeks ago as part of a sneak preview and I wasn't overwhelmned. There's some interesting elements. For example, the world as you say is more realistic and believable without ridiculous leap forwards that we see in the likes of 'I, Robot'. In fact the closest in some regards is the superior 'Gattaca' which also touches on some of the themes presented in this movie.

The problem I found was that the movie was a little dull. I don't think the trailers are a good indicator of what the movie's like - I only saw the trailers after seeing the movie (which I hadn't even heard of until the second it started). I don't think there was much chemistry between the leads and that, much like a lot of other stuff, left me feeling disconnected from what was taking place. On the other it looked and sounded nice... just left me all a bit cold. I can't quite recommend it I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

I agree there was no chemistry between Tim Robbins and Samantha Morton. I thought it was a good movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i saw it and remember thinking "this looked a lot cooler on the poster"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I really enjoyed it, and I thought the lack of chemistry actually added to the film, since
    Robbins is supposed to be on an empathy virus which makes him relate to people easily
    . Although I'd be more forgiving of this sort of thing in a sci-fi film than in a drama, because I was far more interested in the world being portrayed than the people in the storyline.

Plus the fact that for the first time in ages, a sci-fi film made the existing world look futuristic through good camerawork, rather than relying on elaborate sets and special effects.

Advertisement