Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Host

Options
  • 18-09-2004 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Hi
    I have obtained a p111 ibm netfinity server as we bought a new server, which i intend to run as a web server.
    I am going to register a domain with register.ie, And presumably i just got to setup Apache on my server along with an email client such as mdeamon.
    Problem is how does information get sent from the register.ie dns server to my web server. and also email etc,Do i use an ip address or do i have to set up dns and a load of other stuff.

I am new to this as i usually just host my sites with host.ie

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hope it makes sense
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I think the first thing you need is a fixed i.p address connection to the 'net or a dynamic address service like dyndns.org.

Once you have the i.p. sorted then it's a matter of getting your domain name and i.p. registered on someones DNS server so it points to your server in your premises.

I'm sure someone will offer a better answer to your question here but hopefully this reply will get the ball rolling for you.

Good luck !

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You need to get a fixed IP from your ISP if you want to run a site off your new server. The other option is to use one of the DNS services that supports dynamic DNS.

Unless you know what you are doing I would strongly recommend you not to use Windows, unless you can get someone to lock it down for you properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Get a fixed IP
    Get a hardware firewall
    Fully patch and harden the box
    Then get your provider to set the A record in the DNS of the domain to be your shiny new dedicated IP.

Allow a few hours for propagation, and www.yourdomain should now resolve to the default website on your new server.

I dont have to remind you that power outages, dsl outages, and 100 other things will take your site offline, also, the upload speed of your connection (typically 128kbps on radsl) will limit the number of people who can simultaneously look at your site to about 15 people before service degrades.

HTH! Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Thanks 4 that
    I have expensive dsl, the one that cost's 170 a month from eircom, so do i get a fixed ip with that. If not how much is one.
    Also any reccomandations on a mail server software like mdeamon,

Power outages are not really a problem as i have a big ups and we have a huge gererator...Something like 10.000 volts

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hey digiking,

The top eircom package should be fine for you, and you get a fixed IP as standard with it.

If you have ups and generators you should be fine, all yuo need now is leak detection, fire detection and suppression, 24 hour security and access control, and resilient links in case the eircom connection goes down (as there is no SLA with DSL) :):)

That said, the solution you propose should work perfectly for a small site and email. MDaemon is a fairly standard mail server, take a look at the mdaemon website and grab a trial copy to play with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Digiking

For what you are trying to do mdaemon would be both an expensive solution and a security risk. You'd be better off installing a linux distro like debian with apache, mysql, postfix and dovecot.
    Depending on your router/modem you should be able to setup port forwarding for web and mail, though you would be well advised to get reverse dns setup on the IP if you intend to use it for mail.
    You should also have a look on the security boards.

I presume that this will be the only server running on the DSL connection.

Advertisement