Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the absence of any other candidate, what's wrong with Dana?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Dana's views may represent those of a dwindling minority of the population but that's for democratically held presidential elections to decide; not the Fine Gael chief whip.

Once a candidate is someway reasonable, say with 5 nominations by any combination of TDs and senators, they should be put forward for the people to decide their suitability for the role.

And her make-up scares me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

FatherTed wrote:
    This will probably sound sexist, but do men run for president anymore, ever since Brian Lenihen was trumped by Mrs Mna Na hEirinn?

No, the novelty of having a bitch in the áras hasn't worn off yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

dogs wrote:
    Dana's views may represent those of a dwindling minority of the population but that's for democratically held presidential elections to decide; not the Fine Gael chief whip.

Once a candidate is someway reasonable, say with 5 nominations by any combination of TDs and senators, they should be put forward for the people to decide their suitability for the role.

And her make-up scares me.

Well I have no major love for FG but at least they are sticking to their guns.

Edna Kenny said they wouldn't put a candidate up against "the bridge builder" back in Jan and they haven't.

Why not blame FF or Labour for her not getting nominated.

In my opinion I would rather burn €15 million than give that woman a platform to peddle her outdated ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

Dana is a real example of moral courage in a political landscape that sees people dive for cover if some eedjit calls him/her "right-wing" or a "religious nut" or a "fundamentalist whacko". She says what she thinks and she calmly stands her ground even in the face of hair-dryer type screamers like those who, it seems, regularly post on this board (some of you people - and you know who you are - really need to get out in the fresh air more often).

I would love to see Dana as President of Ireland. It is obvious that most of Ireland's Catholic bishops are now afraid to say "boo" for fear of the above-mentioned screamers, but not Dana. Ireland has swung wildly to the wrong wing in recent years, and it needs a Dana to correct the swing without it swinging wildly the other way.

That all said, I doubt that Mary McAleese's clamp on the Presidency can be loosened. She's in for another 7 years no matter what the Fine Gael party forbids or permits.

McAleese is certainly a great improvement over Mary Robinson, who couldn't even be bothered to finish her term, with the prospects of scrambling up the financial and prestige ladder beckoning.

And agreeing with other posters, I think the Presidency of Ireland has been a a females-only need apply job since Mary Robinson won.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I think she's an awful idiot.
    She does not speak for the people of Ireland, generally.
    If shehad been around to run in the sixties maybe, but not now.

She is a religious nut and basically

"No thanks Dana, we already have a good President. Why would we replace a good one with a bad one?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

The only person I can think of who could possibly be more stupid than Dana as prez would have to be Ronan Keating.

He'd get more votes ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

TomF wrote:
    Dana is a real example of moral courage in a political landscape that sees people dive for cover if some eedjit calls him/her "right-wing" or a "religious nut" or a "fundamentalist whacko".
    I think there are only 3 politicians in that class in the country. Dana, Justin Barrett and Aine Ni Chonaill (not to say they are all equivalent or even looking for the same thing). And each of them is pretty unappologetic about their views and could not be described as "diving for cover".
    TomF wrote:
    Ireland has swung wildly to the wrong wing in recent years, and it needs a Dana to correct the swing without it swinging wildly the other way.
    I presume you mean too far to the right, but most people would regard Dana's constituency as being on the right as they favour reduced personal freedoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

chewy wrote:
    is there anything else to be voted on that day the 22nd of cotober?

They should do what the ESB does. Offer a free car raffle if you put your vote in. Or tie it in with the lotto someway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

TomF wrote:
    hair-dryer type screamers like those who, it seems, regularly post on this board (some of you people - and you know who you are - really need to get out in the fresh air more often).

If you can't post without instulting other posters, then don't.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

TomF wrote:
    hair-dryer type screamers like those who, it seems, regularly post on this board (some of you people - and you know who you are - really need to get out in the fresh air more often).

If you can't post without insulting other posters, then don't.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Shes not all there imho, and if she costs the taxpayer by running, i won't be happy.

And as for that anti-M50 fella who thinks he's in with a shot, I know what type of shot i'd give him..........SNIPER SNIPER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

political landscape that sees people dive for cover if some eedjit calls him/her "right-wing" or a "religious nut" or a "fundamentalist whacko".
    Yes those right-wing fundamentalists religious nuts just can't take a slaggin at all! :D

Oh! How I wish....................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

If Labour, Fine Gael don't want to put up a candidate and if people like Dana cannot get on the ballot, why even bother to have an "election? At that, why even bother to have the office of the President if the opposition parties don't even bother to nominate a candiate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Beruthiel wrote:
    Dana would be perfect
    if this was 100 years ago when we still lived under the thumb of the church

she's a throw back and I would like to think we have grown beyond that.

Keep 'em in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant!!!

I can't find the exact quote right now, but I think an idea of Dana's potential Presidential skills could be illustrated by what she said last time she ran: 'if elected I would ensure the divorce referendum would be re-run until we get the right result'.

Says lots about what she thinks of democracy, and indeed that she has no clue what the President is supposed to actually (not) do.
    If Labour, Fine Gael don't want to put up a candidate and if people like Dana cannot get on the ballot, why even bother to have an "election?

errr, there won't be one??...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think it would be good if she ran again, and even better if she wins, but the cream on the cake would be that she performs as badly as you all think she would, it might make those who actually can make decisions more important than the brand of toilet role they use to realise the position should be abolished. Its a shameless waste of public money that could be better spent elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Beruthiel wrote:
    Dana would be perfect
    if this was 100 years ago when we still lived under the thumb of the church

she's a throw back and I would like to think we have grown beyond that.
    The truth of this is in fifties she would still have been the "whore of babylon" - in the sixties "a contender" - but we are talking time machines here...

Catholic Ireland was a lot more oppressive than people care to remember...

The Magdelaine Sisters - there are still some old-dears who are so institutionalized they are still there - how horrible is that :(

We have grown beyond that as is apparent in Dana's populality!

Chorus please: "Praise Sanity - Hallelujiah!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Mention Dana and all the lefty pinkos among you are going to go berzerk, I just know it. Dana dana dana dana dana dana dana dana dana dana dana dana. Doe's it make ye mad?

Secular division between church n state, Divorce, Marriage between Same sex couples, Equal rights for same sex couples, Equal rights for couples who arent married, stem cell research, sex education in schools, erosion of the catholic churchs infulence.........

Hey look two can play at this game!

:D

Advertisement