Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuim

• 18-09-2004 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

Have seen a few people mention going to Maynooth, just wondering who they are and what they're studying?

I'm in 3rd science myself

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

starting my first year of Computer Science and Software Engineering on monday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

WHY!? I mean don't get me wrong Maynooth rocks, but that has to be the worst couse with the highest drop out rate and the highest failure level!!!!!! But, hey, each to there own, good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

nothing wrote:
    WHY!? I mean don't get me wrong Maynooth rocks, but that has to be the worst couse with the highest drop out rate and the highest failure level!!!!!! But, hey, each to there own, good luck with it!

Have you got the evidence to back this up? Anyway that doesn't mean jammer won't like it. Just so you know science has one of the highest drop out rates too...

i'm not interested in arts or business, im interested in computers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

My mate did CSSE, class went from 30 odd in first year to now having 6. Another mate did CS in her first year, of the 150 odd who sat the exam 9 passed.

I know science has a high drop out rate, my freinds are withering away. But as i said already, each to there own. A lot of people on my course only did it for biology, and were basically ****ed when it came to doing maths, physics, chemistry or computer science!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Having done the CSSE course myself, it's true that the drop out and failure rates are very high, especially in first year. This is because a lot of the people who started the course had no interest whatsoever in computers or programming and instead spent all their time surfing the web instead of doing the work that the course requires!!
    Yes, it is a tough course and parts of it are totally out of date (eg the distributed systems module - avoid it like the plague!!). There's also quite a bit of maths to do and you have to pass the maths modules as well as the CS modules - you can't use CS to compensate for maths.
    The majority of the CS lecturers there are pretty good with the exception of about 2 or 3 who are completely dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I'm starting 1st arts tomorrow. I'm so knackered, better not b doin anythin 2 strenuous during both of my lectures tomorrow :p . I'm doin German, Nua Ghaeilge and Sociology. For now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

I'm starting Theoretical Physics and Computer Science this week. Was going to do CSSE but I figure realistic physics are going to be the next big thing as graphics are fast approaching realism, so I thought I'd get the best of both worlds.

had our first lectures today, the night after first freshers party :( Just outlining the course and all that....4hr break now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

I'm jealous of all you freshers...in a way I'm a fresher but I'm in 3rd year. I'm a transfer and in a transfer class with 16 people. None of whom live in Maynooth....how am I going to meet people in this college? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Jammer wrote:
    starting my first year of Computer Science and Software Engineering on monday :(
    Oh you poor thing....what a dreadful course....I am going in2 4th year now. 1st year is great cause u actually get to write code. The 1st semester of 2nd year again is fun but after that its just downhill. Architecture with Charles Markham is utterly confusing! Prepare yourself for one heck of an amount of totally pointless maths

Any advice on how to meet people in NUI Maynooth if you're a newbie and your class aren't exactly the going out type? (Some are mature and the majority of everyone else don't live here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Go to the Roost on Main St, you will find most of the student population in there at one point or another!! Also join societies

Go to the Roost on Main St, you will find most of the student population in there at one point or another!! Also join societies

Yeah been to the Roost a few times, good laugh. If it wasn't for my housemates I'd be lost though.

What societies are good angel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

well I'm not in the college but a lot of my friends are. TBH, in any you're interested in you will find a lot of v friendly ppl. Maynooth gets chosen by a lot of ppl cause the campus is so small and they get to meet new ppl without it being anonymous so most students there v open and willing to make new friends :) good luck!

well I'm not in the college but a lot of my friends are. TBH, in any you're interested in you will find a lot of v friendly ppl. Maynooth gets chosen by a lot of ppl cause the campus is so small and they get to meet new ppl without it being anonymous so most students there v open and willing to make new friends :) good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

I'm sure theres lots of people on boards who attend Maynooth. I know of 4 (including myself). Guess you might try to organise something through here. Let me know if you do.

I'm a transfer student myself so I know how strange it can be @ Clarebear. I was lucky though as I had a mate in the class already. Also, a fella I knew from my previous college is in my class.

[edit]

Forgot to mention. 4th year engineering (computer stream). Final year! :eek:

[/edit]

fletch wrote:
    Oh you poor thing....what a dreadful course....I am going in2 4th year now. 1st year is great cause u actually get to write code. The 1st semester of 2nd year again is fun but after that its just downhill. Architecture with Charles Markham is utterly confusing! Prepare yourself for one heck of an amount of totally pointless maths

where did u do ur work placement?

whats your project gonna be for 4th year?

ClareBear wrote:
    Any advice on how to meet people in NUI Maynooth if you're a newbie and your class aren't exactly the going out type? (Some are mature and the majority of everyone else don't live here)
    Maybe there should be an NUIM forum set up so that new students (and old students) could discuss social activities etc. Give your support if you think its a good idea:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1936759#post1936759

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

2 years CSSE and 2 years Arts!

not too shabby! gobby i support the forum. see the forum thread.

clarebear check your pm!

we should all meet up in the su for chat\drink soon, what ye think? say monday 27th at 12/1? come on itll be fun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭decbuck

Hi,
    If you are in Maynooth college and know of someone thats looking for accomodation

can you tell them to contact me. I have a twin room to let. Sharing with a young easy going couple. House is very clean and has all mod cons including widescreen tv, gas fire central heating, recently fully tiled bathroom with electri shower.

Really must see. It is in the brookfield.

Anyone if you know of anyone looking for the room,

Note:: It is only for a 5 day week. We expect to have the house free for the weekend.

can you get them to contact me decbuck "@" hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Plankton

Hey,

I'm a year 2 BioSci student.

I've been lurking on boards for a while, this is my 1st post!

2 years CSSE and 2 years Arts!

not too shabby! gobby i support the forum. see the forum thread.

clarebear check your pm!

we should all meet up in the su for chat\drink soon, what ye think? say monday 27th at 12/1? come on itll be fun!
    I'll try and make that for one. You'll recognise me easily. Im the fella with a shaved head of red hair. I'll try to get some of the boards users I know to come along.

I'd be well up for drinks and a chat. Monday is no good for me though, I'll be in Dublin celebrating my birthday....23...I feel so old....

Would any of ye be up for drinks some night in the Roost or something?

ClareBear wrote:
    I'd be well up for drinks and a chat. Monday is no good for me though, I'll be in Dublin celebrating my birthday....23...I feel so old....

Would any of ye be up for drinks some night in the Roost or something?
    Sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Jammer wrote:
    where did u do ur work placement?

whats your project gonna be for 4th year?
    Haven't found out what project I'm doin yet cause my placement is for 12months so I won't be goin in2 4th year til this time next yr

gobby wrote:
    Sure...

Goody...

always up for the roost clare just say when!!

gobby! yeah sure bring along many boardsters! im sure we'll probably recognise each other easily enough! say we meet aat the end of the bar in the lobby? small area, should be easy to find each other!

always up for the roost clare just say when!!

gobby! yeah sure bring along many boardsters! im sure we'll probably recognise each other easily enough! say we meet aat the end of the bar in the lobby? small area, should be easy to find each other!

When! :D

Was there lastnight. Got 2 hours sleep. Wrecked. :confused:

• Advertisement

When!

dont mind! tuesday maybe or maybe monday afternoon-if 'n your free?, we'll celebrate!

tom

Advertisement