Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Shootout

Options
  • 19-09-2004 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭

Great tourny lads well done!

Who won, how many bad beats did Dev take etc.

The blind structures were brilliant we could actually play poker
    The best Blackshirt Tourny yet.
    Hail Hyzepher!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Black shirt tournie, I lkie it. The final prize fund was split 3 ways, Tom had lots of bad beats, I inflicted the worst calling his pocket Q's re-raise with pocket 7's all in and of course dealing myself a 7 on the turn, that had him pissed for atleast an hour

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

gerire wrote:
    I inflicted the worst calling his pocket Q's re-raise with pocket 7's all in and of course dealing myself a 7 on the turn, that had him pissed for atleast an hour

What can you do, you cant plan for n00b calls.... :)

Actually I had a great days poker with the exception of a few knacker rivers but as Bohsman said, the blinds structure allowed for some play beyond the usual all-in or fold, so bad rivers were set backs rather then brutal death blows!

A big thank you to Danielle for being very cool about some last minute changes and for having a sense of humour about the length of time we went on (I thought the first tables would be over in 90 minutes!). The Fitz helped where we needed it and left us alone where we were sorting stuff out. Hats off.

I kinda liked the Shootout format as I had time to get to know my table and not have new players arriving or worse, getting moved myself!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Yep, must say I enjoyed it. Well, as much as I could - barely saw a card all game. Pair of deuces being about the best limped, and an AJ which after a raise was re-raised by Paddy H. So i was out fairly quickly. Enjoyed it though. Much preferred the atmosphere in the Fitz also, and Danielle let it all run smoothly as far as I could see, which was a damn site better than the Merrion at the start of the month. Very enjoyable. Just some better cards next time please!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

And the winner is? Anyone actually there when it was won or is it still playing?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Gerire has the results. I got to the final table with the second biggest stack but despite increasing my stack, I went out to a moment of (slight) madness when I reraised all in with AK and got called by Kings. Went out 7th and made my entry fee back but damn I should have done better! Always the bridesmaid at the SA events... :(

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

DeVore wrote:
    Gerire has the results. I got to the final table with the second biggest stack but despite increasing my stack, I went out to a moment of (slight) madness when I reraised all in with AK and got called by Kings. Went out 7th and made my entry fee back but damn I should have done better! Always the bridesmaid at the SA events... :(

DeV.

AK strikes again, as JP eloquently put it last week "even suited they're at best suited connectors, and not even good ones because you can only hit one straight"

True, True

Aye but I was acting after a raise of a little over the minimum and I was BB so I figured a reraise all-in might push him off the hand and if not I'm 50-50 with his pair or dominating his (optimistic) AQ. Kings was the nightmare scenario! What I didnt count on was that he had more chips then I. I mis-estimated his stack (which were all pinks) and thought I'd be getting a little change if he did call, as it turned out he had just 1K more then me. Mea Culpa!

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Not really directed at you Dev but I can never understand someone jeopardising their stack - or most of it - on a 50/50 bet. Surely you would want better odds before you would gamble on going out of the tournament.

Hyzepher

If he had been all in I wouldnt have called. I would have chucked it most likely. I honestly thought there was a very high chance that he'd chuck his hand to a stiff reraise. If I'd taken the time to count his stack I wouldnt have bet either as I didnt think he had me covered.

Theres nothing wrong with a big move like that to force a decision especially with a robust hand like AK. If he folds 1 time in 3 even, then the odds of my success are:
    1 hand in 3 he'll fold,
    1 hand in 3 he'll call and it will be 50/50 and I'll win
    1 hand in 3 he'll call and it will be 50/50 and he'll win.

Lets call the odds of him having Aces or Kings to be the same as the odds of him having AQ or worse for simplicity so that we can ignore those cases...

So in that scenario I'm winning 2:3 times, if you knew you were going to be 66% likely to win if you pushed all in, wouldn't you do it?

As you know, theres a big difference between raising and calling :)

DeV.

Advertisement