Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP licencing

Options
  • 19-09-2004 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I've got a new PC and it doesn't have an OS at the moment. On ebay there are quite a few copies of XP which come with licence and COA. If they've been installed previously by someone, I presume you have to do the phone microsoft thingie. Once it isn't installed anywhere else, is it ok to sell XP like that, or is xp just licenced for the first computer it's installed on?

If you can buy copies that have been removed by their former owners, what kind of information do Microsoft look for when you phone? Presumably the configuration of the previously registered pc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

TBH I think you are asking for trouble if you buy a previously activated copy, Microsoft are well within their rights to refuse to activate it for you. Try to at least get a copy that has never been activated. Think about this would you give me your Windows XP product key? I should hope not ;) If you buy a used copy then the person who sold it may have it written down somewhere and could try to use it again later which means you could be screwed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Just wondering How much your gone to pay for a copy on ebay.
    Try http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Microsoft_Windows_20.html round about 90Euro for full version plus no worries about previous activations. ;)

Or about 150euro for XP pro which is not bad considering those thieving bastids in Compu store are looking for 300Euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i picked up a copy of XP Home while i was getting a new 9800 pro from
    http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/home.php?cat=417 , it cost around €92 and was a more straight forward way of getting a copy of xp imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Product descriptions there don't seem to say they come with the COA which I thought was needed for the activiation... Maybe it's just missing from the description

Advertisement