Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless card for laptop

• 19-09-2004 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

I know this may have been asked before but wat is the best wireless lan card for laptop (PCMIA or sumtin like dat). I'd like to buy it online if possible (komplett,dabs etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

No problem

By the way, its PCMCIA card!

In general, the best card to get is the same as the one that you have for your other networking equipment. i have a belkin router, switch and card, for example.

So, what is the make of the other stiff you are using.

If you are only going to be using it in WiFi hotspots (airports, train stations) then it doesn't really matter. Make sure it's 802.11g (the up-and-coming one) and that it is certified on www.wi-fi.org

If you can, it might be worth shelling out for one by your computer manufacturer (Dell make some, for example)

Feel free to pass any by me and i'll tell you what the story is with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

There's no "best" as such, it all depends on what you need it for.

You might be able to get a bargain from the irishwan site (www.irishwan.org/boards)

http://www.irishwan.org/board/showthread.php?t=1880 for example.

I use some kind of orinoco but I can't remember which :)

Of course I'm not the best person to advise but most standard wireless cards off komplett or whatever should work.

Good luck.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

In general, the best card to get is the same as the one that you have for your other networking equipment.
    I've heard this theory before, but never seen a good explanation for it. I have an eclectic mixture of wireless equipment (at least eight different brands in more than twenty locations) and I've never come across any interoperability problems. What's the reason for recommending brand uniformity? Isn't that the whole point of standards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

oscarBravo wrote:
    I've heard this theory before, but never seen a good explanation for it. I have an eclectic mixture of wireless equipment (at least eight different brands in more than twenty locations) and I've never come across any interoperability problems. What's the reason for recommending brand uniformity? Isn't that the whole point of standards?

Though there is an idea of standared (11 mbps for b, 54 for g), when you use same manufacture stuff (like my belkin setup) you can get burst speeds. The equipment is optimised to work with it's siblings.

I often get speeds of 100 mbps, something that wouldn't be possible if everything wasn't Belkin.

It's like encoding a movie with DivX, then playing it back in media player... it just runs better in DivX player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

i have a cheapish smc card - work great in windows and linux. I have the 802.11b version of this . There is also a cnet card on komplett for 37e - which is dirt cheap. The major thing to check with these card (if you want it to run in linux) is the chipset used. Anything based on orinoco or admtek chips should be fine. But even the chipset wont matter if you use the ndiswrapper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I've allways used Linksys equipment : it 's not to expensive and works great.
    The WPC54G and WPC54GS are good cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I use this 3Com one - like some above, chosen for Linux compatibility. Works fine in Windoze, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Hows this one http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=301534&cks=PRL ?
    I'm going to be using it for the hotspots n NUIG and some Counter-Strike through their internet connection:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Gaming ports are blocked by NUIG's firewall.....

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

but hows the card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Gangsta wrote:
    but hows the card?

Sorry, I don't really know CNet ...
    But for 10 more euros I would go for the 3Com :)

Advertisement