Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original Doom

Options
  • 19-09-2004 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I just downlaoded doom(don't worry it was shareware from pcdownloads.com) and it works grand but i can't get my mouse to wrok with it! Any one else have a priblem like this with doom or another game???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Mouse won't work with Doom in Win2k or XP. Try get a windows source port like Jdoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Doom doesn't use a mouse. Its an old school fps

Rabies wrote:
    Doom doesn't use a mouse. Its an old school fps

Yes it does!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

I think what rabies was aiming at was Doom doesnt use a mouse unless you mod it in some way.

Whats the point of a mouse anyway...Thats why doom looks crap and plays great.

Original Doom does use a mouse though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

ABOVE:

No, no it doesnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

erm... yes it does.

even more so if you use jDoom or somesuch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

it does or it doesn't??????
    Please tell me how????!!!!

It won't support the mouse in Win2k or above, so download Jdoom.

And yes, in the original Doom, the mouse turned you left or right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The mouse only turned you left and right. You can't look up or down with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Google for "Jdoom", that gets you mouse control, you can bump the resoloution way up (1600x1200 I think you can go up to), and you can also get a model pack to make it all 3D (graphics are then a bit better than Quake1, but not quite as good as quake2).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you want mouse look get jdoom.

And for the record, Doom does support mouse look but just left and right. No looking up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Retr0gamer wrote:
    If you want mouse look get jdoom.

And for the record, Doom does support mouse look but just left and right. No looking up and down.
    Yes it does :)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Doom does support a mouse - I played it first time round when a mouse was a new thing for me... Rabies, Mear, etc maybe you forgot to load the mouse driver in your CONFIG.SYS? :D

On a side note GLDoom does tart things up a bit for the Windows generation of users:

http://www.bluesnews.com/files/doom/gldoom.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Mouse look is where you can look in a different direction using the mouse than you are moving. Most people however are used to mapping right and left to the mouse.

My understanding is that DOOM doesn't support mouse look, but you can map right and left to the mouse.

Does JDOOM support mouse look, or just movement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Does JDOOM support mouse look, or just movement?
    mouse look, as well as jumping :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The original doom had no up or down view (with mouse or otherwise). You could only look from left to right (with mouse or keyboard), however there was automatic vertical aim when an enemy was at a high or low point.

Left and right looking was achieved by moving the mouse left and right. Movement was achieved by moving the mouse forward and back. There were keyboard versions of these actions also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Doesn't anyone read replies anymore? Repetition is getting worse and worse (pun) on these boards ;). Jdoom gets my vote btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

As stated above

Original Doom does not support mouse look (turning to aim in a direction other than that in which you are travelling).

Original Doom is 2D, with an impression of 3D (no jumping a 12 inch step would impeed your progress, auto aim was employed for ememies "above" or "below" you.)

A mouse has no advantage over the standard "wasd" D pad controls.

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

There is an occasional subtle advantage to be gained from the mouse. It's allows you to aim in much smaller/accurate increments allowiing you to snipe occasionally before entering rooms. It's not something that you'll use all that frequently but it's handy none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

mouse would be used for turning, and arrow keys for strafing

Advertisement