Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nuisnace Calls

• 19-09-2004 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I had last night. Some arsehole and his mates called my mobile last night at 4am and proceeded to verbally abuse me. There was in all about 5 calls to the phone which was quite distressing for my partner also and which basically left me livid. Had to end up turning off the phone and slept it in for work today, losing an hour of double pay! :mad:

Of course this hero phoned via a "private number". Is there any way this can be traced because I would have an orgasm if I got the chance to call HIM back at 4am tonight.

I'm not bothering reporting it to the Gardai as they will just tell me to "ignore it", but this pox really pissed me off.

I have sent a mail to o2 asking if they have any way of disclosing th enumber.

Just wondering if anyone might have any help or input on the subject. :confused:

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I know vodafone doesn't have any tracking for i's pay as you go customers... had the same problem myself.

If you are on bill-pay, your chances are up. Otherwise... i'd call o2 instead of mailing them... it'll get sorted or not straight away then.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Details are in your phone book. but generally.

1. Put the phone down. Leave them on it and let them waste their money. Don't reply to them.

2. Switch off the ringer. If they continue to ring over and over, it should be on the phone. (helps to make a case)

3. You can also lock your mobile (well some) that will only accept calls from numbers you know and register.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I don't think its possible to get the number without Garda intervention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I've had same problem and they always tell ya we can't do anything unless we're told by the gardai. They can't block a number from calling u without guards either. not v helpful but i suppose they have their reasons. I ended up changing my number cause of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Thanks very much for help, but as you can understand this really annoyed me. I'm seriously thinking about pushing this with the Gardai, even get the prat cautioned. He said he was from Lifford, Co. Donegal, I'll get the pox! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭casso

I remember a friend of mine had some kind of tweak on his fone that made private numbers visible. Not sure what it was but is worth looking into if the problem persists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Having been involved in a major dispute with other members of my own family, well more of a civil war than a little family tiff, I, and the members of my family and circle of friends have received numerous nuicance phone calls some were from private numbers and some people were dumb enough to forget to turn off their caller ID.

For the ones that had private numbers I had to get a trace on the line. This involved actually physically visiting the garda station in Henry Street, Limerick and making a complaint, logging the time and date of these calls and letting the trace do its work.

I will tell you what O2s reply to your email will be. Although we keep a log of the calls you make for billing purposes, we do not keep a log of the numbers that call you.

Even If your nuisance caller displays their number, the mobile operators will not identify them for you as it would be a breach of the Data Protection act.

One thing you might try is letting the phone go to the answering machine. or bouncing all private numbers to the answering machine. If someone really needs to talk to you they can leave a message.

Going back to muppets that called me with their numbers displayed, when vodafone refused to identify one particular number for me I told them that I would publish it on the internet, which I did. I havent received a call since.

Remember, It costs them more to ring you than it does for you to answer it. Personally I always answer the phone. It costs me nothing to do this. If it is a nuisance call I think to myself "hm there goes another 20 cent" and wait for them to hang up.

Dont let your partner hear or know about the calls if they are becoming distressed. This is what the caller wants to happen. The person calling you cannot hurt you from the other end of a phone line.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I will tell you what O2s reply to your email will be. Although we keep a log of the calls you make for billing purposes, we do not keep a log of the numbers that call you.

Although if the caller was ringing from an O2 phone, they would have a log of his calls to you. Simple database search would show it up pretty quickly, if they wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Does anybody else get texts from people they don't know???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

ye, sometimes i do.But that is always good fun, not anoying like calls. I remember hearing that on the vodafone network ,if you are recieving these calls onto your mobile, and you are lucky enough to know someone working for vodafone, there is a setting they can change (from their computers) that allows you to see who is calling, no matter what. I presume it is the same with o2 and meteor. Thing is, its probably not the safest option regarding the information act and all that. Also you have to know someone in the network!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Cool Cat

casso wrote:
    I remember a friend of mine had some kind of tweak on his fone that made private numbers visible. Not sure what it was but is worth looking into if the problem persists.

Do you know any where that will tweak phones to make private numbers visible ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Although if the caller was ringing from an O2 phone, they would have a log of his calls to you. Simple database search would show it up pretty quickly, if they wanted to.

They still won't tell you who is calling you because the data protection prevents it.

you would still need to go to the Guards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

bohsboy wrote:
    Some arsehole and his mates called my mobile last night at 4am and proceeded to verbally abuse me.

Turn off phone before attempting sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Gurgle wrote:
    Turn off phone before attempting sleep.

I agree, I always turn off my phone at night

why?
    if someone really wants to get me they can leave a message or try my landline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I hate getting calls from reps asking me to join their low cost phone company.

I usualyl just say im busy and ask could I ring them back later on their house phone, "No" they say, "because I dont like being bugged at home".... Now you know how I feel :D

Advertisement