Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wi-Fi: Difference between US & EU?

• 19-09-2004 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

I have an access point set up in my house. On one computer I see this access point (and others in my neighborhood) and am able to connect. While on another computer, my wireless card doesn’t ‘see’ my access point.

The non-working wireless card is a card I bought in the US and I am wondering if that is part of the reason it is not working?

From what I understand US and EU wi-fi is compatible, but that US works on a narrower range of the spectrum:
    US: Channels 1-11
    EU: Channels 1-13

Since my access point is operating on Channel 1, I am assuming that should be common to both US and EU wi-fi equipment.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions how to fix this, they would be very welcome.

Equipment:
    Access Point: Apple AirPort Express
    NON-working wireless card: USR5410 802.11g
    Working Wireless card: Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Does the access point restrict card by mac address ?
    Does the access point broadcast ssid - if not switch on the broadcast and try to connect again.
    Try using windows auto wireless setup insted of the app that comes with the card or if you are already using windows to setup your wireless card then try using the cards own software.
    Try setting up an ad-hoc network between your two card and ignore the access point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

It isn't the MAC addressing anyway. If MAC is on, you can 'see' the network, just not access it.

One possibility knocked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

If you're using a channel both available in the US and in EU (wich is the case of channel 1), their is no reason why EU and US equipements should't be able to work together.
    A have an AP and a card that I bought in Canada and another AP and card that I bought in France, and I never experienced any problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

No luck setting up an Ad-hoc network. I know that might suggest that the card is broken, but it was working fine when I was in the States a couple of weeks ago - recognizing different networks in my neighbourhood.

Any other suggestions??

thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The only difference between the regulations here and other countries are in the frequencies (channels) and power you are allowed to use.

eg: in Japan you can use channel 14, in the US you are allowed to use up to 400 times as much effective power as in France on certain channels.

So unless the device is a high power US device (> 100 mW) it should be good to go here. Many devices can be set to region in software and can then use the appropiate channels. Smartbridges have a "dial a power" option so if you use an external antenna you can also match power levels to the region you are in.

Ad-Hoc mode is very fiddly - borrow an AP and use netstumbler to check the cards against it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

Thank you for all the suggestions. I’ve tried them all and still nothing.

The AP is definitely working because I can connect with it from second laptop.

I downloaded ‘Netstumbler’ last night and it still could not ‘see’ any AP.

I’ve double checked that the AP is NOT a closed network and that the Wirless card is on ‘Any’ SSID rather than fixed to a specific one.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Advertisement