Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Cap?

• 19-09-2004 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Whats the NTL cap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 iksaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

OK thanks. I thought there might be a monthly cap aswell. Excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Do NTL enforce their cap? And if so how? Im getting the 1.5meg package installed on Wedsnesday(Hmm that reminds me I must inform Netsource that I'll be discontinuing their 1meg service).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

If you over do it by a massive amount ( let's say 100GB++ ) they may send out a letter...for the most part the cap is not really there. People here on Boards with NTL have broken it and have never gotten a complaint letter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I've done 110gigs since the start of september, usually am bit of a heavy downloader, got a phone call off them offering me the business package. i answered by saying, why would i choose the business package for home use? and yer one on the phone agreed so they don't really enforce it at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

did they mention the speeds of the business packages at all?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I think its 2 meg, but if they got the free upgrade it could have been 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's bull, there is no cap!

In my first 5 weeks with NTL, from July 2003, I downloaded over 100GB :D

My bandwith usage has varied between 3GB and 90GB per month for the last 15 months. Average maybe about 20GB

Also no apparent contention. I have always got full speed apart from maybe in total about 48 hours breakdown over the last 15 months

Just noticed that the speed has increased for me from today from 1 to 1.5 mbps - anyone know the details?

Just as well I didn't go 802.11b as it would be a bottleneck now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

unkel wrote:
    That's bull, there is no cap!

In my first 5 weeks with NTL, from July 2003, I downloaded over 100GB :D

I just can't afford to be hit with a big bill in a few months time, like some have on other services, after being over their cap for months.

• Advertisement

I just can't afford to be hit with a big bill in a few months time

I understand. By all means let other NTL broadband users comment, but I don't think a cap is in place, although perhaps they have a fair use policy, but do you plan to download several GB a day, EVERY day?

If not you should be fine :)

BTW NTL forgot to bill me for the first 7 months of broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

unkel wrote:
    Just as well I didn't go 802.11b as it would be a bottleneck now :)
    802.11b provides 11Mbps on paper, and 3-4Mbps in the real world. It's still a fair bit faster than your NTL connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Ripwave wrote:
    802.11b provides 11Mbps on paper, and 3-4Mbps in the real world. It's still a fair bit faster than your NTL connection.

Not really a valid point there, because he would have subscribed to a 1.5 Mbps of Bandwith off someone like Irish Broadband and then got nowhere near that bandwidth, coupled with higher pings than a 56k modem. I haven't seen an 11Mbps product anywhere in Ireland.

Serbian wrote:
    Not really a valid point there, because he would have subscribed to a 1.5 Mbps of Bandwith off someone like Irish Broadband and then got nowhere near that bandwidth, coupled with higher pings than a 56k modem. I haven't seen an 11Mbps product anywhere in Ireland.
    He was talking about using 802.11b for his home LAN, Serbian.

Nobody uses 802.11b for broadband delivery anywhere in the world, because it's effective range of about 50 metres would make for a fairly restricted market :)

You won't be charged for going over ntl's limit,
    they will warn you first with a letter/phonecall
    its only a guideline anyway, not a limit it says it on their site that you will not be charged if you go over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Lenny wrote:
    I've done 110gigs since the start of september
    Sorry, but I have to ask. What the hell do you download?

Ahh I like to try games out before I download them and purchase a an online key insted of buying it and share ware n **** and mp3's, you know the usual

actualy proberly since last week or so in august i did it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Ripwave wrote:
    He was talking about using 802.11b for his home LAN, Serbian.

Nobody uses 802.11b for broadband delivery anywhere in the world, because it's effective range of about 50 metres would make for a fairly restricted market :)

Ah my bad. I have a wireless network running on 802.11g but it seems to run bloody slow most of the time. Took 30 minutes to transfer 2 files totalling 1.4 gigs.

Bastards.

Ripwave wrote:

:eek:
    Thats a fairly inaccurate statement seeing as thats what many people on http://www.irishwan.org are using to transmit up to 5km away!

The protocol has nothing to do with the range. Its the power output of the equipment and the antena setup that will determine how far you can go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Ive been on NTL for about 2 years, do between 40-60 Gb a month and never heard a dickie bird from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I suspect ripwave got confuzzled.

Moriarty wrote:
    I suspect ripwave got confuzzled.
    No - I was talking about commercial services - that's why I referred to "a fairly restricted market".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

.. but ibb among a number of others use(d) 802.11b to provide comercial services here for some time.

Yeah you might want to ring IBB and tell them their users are getting an imaginary service seeing as it can only go 50m... :D

ronoc wrote:
    Yeah you might want to ring IBB and tell them their users are getting an imaginary service seeing as it can only go 50m... :D
    IBB don't use 802.11b.

Ripwave wrote:

Yep you're right. Not a bottleneck right now, but I expect to have a 10Mbps connection within a year or so :)

Moriarty wrote:
    .. but ibb among a number of others use(d) 802.11b to provide comercial services here for some time.
    I knew that the IBB Breeze services were using the 2.4GHz spectrum, but I assumed that they weren't using 802.11b technology. I've since checked, and the BreezeNet equipment is in fact 802.11b compliant, though as far as I know, you can't pick up a BreezeNet signal with "ordinary" 802.11b equipment.

My mistake.

Well thats true in that you need a special antenna and other equipment to receive it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement