Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anchorman

• 19-09-2004 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

So what did everyone that saw this think of the movie? It was very stupid and only funny in some bits, they should have made Ben Stiller the main character instead of Will Ferrell, Ben is miles funnier.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I wasn't bad, but wasn't great either. I think the guy who played Brick was funnier than Will Ferrell.... The network team showdown in the alley was good fun - lots of great cameos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I thought it was a good movie, not the best from Will (old School) but was still very enjoyable. The showdown was one of the best bits in it but I particulary like Jack Black kicking the dog into the river... so unexpected! Good to see that Ben, Will , Luke et al are willing to make cameos in each others films, should lead to a few more classics yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It actually looks quite good, not seen it yet, but it's one of the few comedy films that's coming out that makes me think that it might be interesting. I've still to see Will Ferrel do anything to top his preformance as The Architect in the Matrix Piss-take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

overall i enjoyed it, unfortunately all the best bits are in the trailer, but i still thought it had some good jokes. imo will ferrel was by far the weakest major character in the film, he started getting on my nerves 3/4 through the movie, i loved all the cameo's and the gladiator battle, and burgundy's news team were hilarious(especially brick) i thought vince vaughn was great in his little cameo.
    i read that they made over 9 hours of film footage, looks like this is gonna be a must-buy dvd :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Demeant0r wrote:
    So what did everyone that saw this think of the movie? It was very stupid and only funny in some bits, they should have made Ben Stiller the main character instead of Will Ferrell, Ben is miles funnier.

You have to be joking. Ben Stiller is doing far more mediocre movies right now - spreading himself way too thinly. Mmm, 'Along Came Polly', classic stuff alright.

Yeah, Brick was great in this. But he was great in Bruce Almighty too. So far I've only seen him in small doses - I guess his true test will be when he plays Ricky Gervais' role in the U.S. version of the office.

In comparison to Dodgeball, I'd have to say I think Anchorman edged ahead of it slightly - primarily due to Brick, I must confess. Great character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I thought it was very very funny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hyperali

i expected it to be crap found it quite funny laughed a good bit but in my opinion not as funny as dodgeball. fight scene was they best will ferrel was funny but i went to see it asecond time(we turned up at cinema to see soemthing else and it wasnt on) and i still laughed so it was funny for your average comedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

i liked it a lot 2b honest
    that said i absolutly love will ferrell
    guy is a genius imho
    was better than dodgeball if u ask me
    maybe cause i dont like stiller much though

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Pretty decent. More surreal than I expected but there were laughs - I enjoyed the insane antics of Brick ("I love lamp"). Vince Vaughn was better here than he was "Dodgeball". Nice selection of out-takes at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I love Will Ferrell, and still rate Old School as one of the best comedies of the last ten years. So I went into Anchorman expecting to at least enjoy it more than most of the "meh" reviews I've read of it.

I thought that one or two exceptions aside (Brick being the most obvious exception), most the jokes felt like in-jokes among a bunch of friends. In-jokes that got stretched to make an entire movie. And most were pulled off with a knowing grin, like "Oh man, I can't believe we're working this joke into a movie!" (
    See: "I don't like you, but goddamnit I respect you" in this compared to the same line in the extras on the Old School DVD
    ). And this just didn't work for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

You have to me nuts if you didn't like this film. It's by far the best comedy I've seen this year. Dodgeball was only alright. There was a lot of dead air time in it with nothing funny happening. Anchorman had jokes almost all of the time. I've watched it a couple of times now and still laugh at it. Guess this type of comedy is just not for everyone though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Brick was the funniest thing in the film, it was alright other than that. Few funny memorable lines but the rest of it was meh.

Brick: "Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident!"
    Ron: "Brick, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder."

I'm going to punch you in the ovary, right in the babymaker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

jesus.
    i heard it was **** and only went cos of the girlfriend.
    but jesus, its funny as hell, seriously good.

brick is sooo funny, the gangland bit when he's on the wrong side cracked me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

NoelRock wrote:
    Yeah, Brick was great in this. But he was great in Bruce Almighty too. So far I've only seen him in small doses - I guess his true test will be when he plays Ricky Gervais' role in the U.S. version of the office.

Seen it. He's terrible in it. He tries to play Gervais and falls flat on his face.

This film was only ok. There was way too much of "I've seen this joke before" in this film.

Advertisement