Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB or Ethernet?

• 19-09-2004 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

when i am setting up the broadband connection i am given two choices. To either connect using Ethernet or USB. I tried both and they both work. Which one would be the faster and better connection?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Ethernet is the one to use if you can. USB puts a load on your pc's cpu and generally just isn't as useful as ethernet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The rubbish IOL USB modem raised the idle temp of my modem 2C even when I wasn't on the web. Ethernet is always far better, thankfully I now have a router so no more crappy USB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Which one would be the faster and better connection?
    USB 1.1 is a 12Mbps connection. Ethernet is 10 or 100Mbps. DSL is 512Kbps (or 0.5Mbps). Speedwise, they're both way faster than your DSL connection, so it doesn't matter.

But the only time you should use USB is when ethernet isn't an option, so if you have the choice, use etherent - it's simpler, stabler and more versatile.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ethernet definately

Advertisement