Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just started business course, but.... am i doing the right thing??

• 19-09-2004 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I've just started a 4-year business course after which I will end up with a degree. The reason I chose business was so that I could have the skills to eventually start my own business.

However, I don't want the type of job that this course will get me i.e. in the business world. I want to work in a creative job like writing or journalism or photography, because they are the things I am interested in.

So should I be on this course at all? Should I be on a course that involves what I'm really interested in instead? I mean, I could do some one-year business course in the future to get the skills I need to make a go of starting my own business. I feel like I'm about to waste four years of my life doing something I don't want to do.

Has anyone been in this situation before? And what did you do about it? Or what do you recommend?

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Been there more than once. In cases such as these I think it is impossible to provide answers, far better to try to ask the right questions.

What business course in what college? Have you looked through your book of modules for this year and the next three years? Is it hardcore business or do you also have some Arts-type subjects (Literature), Politics, Law and so on?
    Do those make the course any more tolerable for you?

If you were not doing this course, what course would you want to do? Have you checked those out? Do you have the qualifications/points for them?

It is easy to think there's something better but when it comes to it, it just mightn’t be there. After all I'm sure you just didn't land in this course by accident, you researched it and considered it for many months or even years.

You mention journalism. A business degree can easily lead to a career in journalism, especially if you do some freelance writing in the mean time such as for the college paper. You might be interested in photography as a hobby (as your yourself mention) but could you imagine your life at it?

Jeremiah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Also you may consider getting involved in clubs/societies that do photography.

You are not necessarily doing the wrong thing here. People have done science degrees and then gone and worked as accountants. Doing a degree in a particular field does not limit your career choices to that specific field.

A degree is not always about the practical side of what you have learned but can also be just a mechanism to show you are disciplined

Also say you do a business degree, you might then be able to do a one year postgrad course in journalism.

My advice go talk to someone in student services/careers in the college and they may be able to help you further

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement