Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College question: I've just started a business course, but is it the rite thing 2 do?

Options
  • 19-09-2004 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I've just started a 4-year business course after which I will end up with a degree. The reason I chose business was so that I could have the skills to eventually start my own business.

However, I don't want the type of job that this course will get me i.e. in the business world. I want to work in a creative job like writing or journalism or photography, because they are the things I am interested in.

So should I be on this course at all? Should I be on a course that involves what I'm really interested in instead? I mean, I could do some one-year business course in the future to get the skills I need to make a go of starting my own business. I feel like I'm about to waste four years of my life doing something I don't want to do.

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you shoulda done a writing/journalism/photography course then... You don't need a business degree to start or run a business. There are a hundred books in Easons on how to set up a business. Buy one after you finish the course you really want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Jamie8292 wrote:
    I've just started a 4-year business course after which I will end up with a degree. The reason I chose business was so that I could have the skills to eventually start my own business.

However, I don't want the type of job that this course will get me i.e. in the business world. I want to work in a creative job like writing or journalism or photography, because they are the things I am interested in.

So should I be on this course at all? Should I be on a course that involves what I'm really interested in instead? I mean, I could do some one-year business course in the future to get the skills I need to make a go of starting my own business. I feel like I'm about to waste four years of my life doing something I don't want to do.

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated! Thanks

One option is to stick it till christmas and see how you get on, if you dont like it reapply on the CAO, also depending on where you study, they may allow you to transfer to a different course without re-applying through CAO ( I know this can happpen in DCU).

Another option is, do your business degree, building up portfolio of writing etc then do a post-grad diploma / masters in something you like.

What would I do? give it till christmas, change courses, and then when graduated if i felt i needed the business angle on things do a post-grad something in business, in your case you might like the entrepreneur masters that smurfit businness school offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

I suggest that you continue with the course and get some work experience at the same time. Summer jobs with the newspaper, work for design company etc.

I never, ever, ever used the skills that I learnt in college in my job. But without the degree I would never, ever have got any of the jobs.

exerience is not just the only way to learn a skill it is also the only way to make an informed career choice.

Advertisement