Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT rates and such on imported dive gear?

Options
  • 19-09-2004 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

This is kinda a cross post fromt he work forum but whatever... somone here might be able to help me out a little.

I'm thinking of buying a KISS rebreather pretty soon... maybe around xmas. Santa is going to be super good to me!... anyway because the unit is coming into the country from canada it gets hit with VAT.... which given the amounts involved is close to 800/1000euro.

There was somthing mentioned on http://www.yorkshire-divers.co.uk rebreather forumn about the unit not haveing a CE mark and therefore gets shipped as not a fully put together unit ie. it is registered as "spare parts" that you then take and put together as a rebreather ;)

Anyway, does anyone have a clue what the story would be ???? 21% 17.5% VAT? And is there something called excise when it come into the country?

I tried www.revenue.ie but didn;t find anything on scuba gear or spare parts..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Kev I've bought quite a few stuff from the States (not diving gear) and the following rules apply with regard to import duty. If the customs slip attached (green slip which has to be filled out for all packages from the US) states the contents are of value greater than $30 you will be hit for customs. However one way around it is to request the package be sent, stating contents are worth less than $30 and that it is a gift you will not be hit for customs. The only drawback is (and it's a significant drawback) you cannot claim insurance on the package as it will only be insured for the stated amount (ie less than $30).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Yeah dave... i'm pretty sure i'll have to bend over on the customs and excise. I presume Vat will be levied at 21%... anyone know what i will pay in customs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I've found many Americans and Canadians (esp.) rather... how should I say ethically flexible when it comes to those green slips.
    Gifts and Commercial samples are also allowed through without taxes or duties.

Failing that you might fancy a trip to Canada yourself.

tribble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

So they would just mark on the green slip that its a gift?

Does it have to be coming from a canadian to me?

Advertisement