Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

please help....

Options
  • 19-09-2004 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

ok i put diesel into my moped..... problem is it takes unleaded..... myself and the garage dude then turned the moped upside down and eptied the tank..... i know theres an easier way we found that out after.......... anyway i then put in unleaded and drove out..... half a mile down the road and my bike cut out

what should i do

some ppl are tellin me to just turn the bike on and let it burn off are they right??

please help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You put diesel in a moped???? I'll leave this to bikers here to take you through, but the basic principle should be to flush the system.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eh, I thought petrol vehicles had smaller funnels so diesel couldn't be added.

Adding petrol to a diesel vehicle is less severe (but not recommended).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Victor wrote:
    Adding petrol to a diesel vehicle is less severe (but not recommended).

I know a mechanic who swears by adding a few litres of petrol into a diesel to clean it out, I've no idea if he's talking rubbish since I would never lower myself to such an unsporting fuel.

Also, I would never ever assist a moped person in anyway so no further comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I know a mechanic who swears by adding a few litres of petrol into a diesel to clean it out, I've no idea if he's talking rubbish since I would never lower myself to such an unsporting fuel.
    Are you sure he didn't say diesel oil in a petrol engined car to clean it out? Oil for diesel engines contains additional cleaning agents and it is less harsh than engine flush. I know a lot of people who have tried this in their engines for a few hundred miles with great results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

IrishRover wrote:
    Are you sure he didn't say diesel oil in a petrol engined car to clean it out? Oil for diesel engines contains additional cleaning agents and it is less harsh than engine flush. I know a lot of people who have tried this in their engines for a few hundred miles with great results.

nah it was definitely diesel engines he was on about, though I will admit loss of interest immediately after I heard the word diesel :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

thats what you get for buying a ****in moped!!!

what the hell were you thinking??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Some petrol mixed in with diesel will help to clean out any gummed up deposits in the fuel system and it's also useful to prevent the diesel gelling in really cold weather. I prefer to fill the fuel filter with injector celaner when changing it for cleaning out the fuel system. As for the moped, one dead moped is a start, how do we encourage all other moped owners to do the same? Seriously though, was the tank empty or close to empty before you put the diesel in? Did you start it before draining it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is there a small pipe going from the tank to the carb that you can disconnect and collect the contents of the tank before discarding in a legal and environmentally friendly manner?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Well has the moped started for you again?

You should empty your tank again anyway. Disconnect the line between the tank and your carb, and clean it out well. Drain your carb float bowl, or one better, open it up and using carb cleaner clean the whole thing.

Then put it all back together, and fill 'er up.

If you really don't know what you're doing, you should probably go to a mechanic or shop. It should not be a very big job, but when they see someone clueless coming in saying "I put diesel in my moped and it wont' work" they will probably see a great opportunity to fleece you.. "JESUS.. that's terrible.. oh god.. massive job.. massive job.. I have to take off the flux capacitor there and replace your warp coils... hmm, it's gonna cost a fair amount"..

spockety wrote:
    "JESUS.. that's terrible.. oh god.. massive job.. massive job.. I have to take off the flux capacitor there and replace your warp coils... hmm, it's gonna cost a fair amount"..
    In order for the flux capacitor to work, the vehicle needed to be travelling at 88mph. How many mopeds (despite all the riders best efforts) have you seen at this speed? So if he says this, you can tell him! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Hey toxic moped angel

The people who told you to run run it until it clears itself are right. If the bike starts and runs, fill the tank with unleaded to dilute any remaining diesel and drive it as normal. If it doesn't run, the spark plug might be fouled and need cleaning. It seems you spotted the error quickly and didn't run the bike with diesel so it should be ok. This is a two stroke bike so it is used to gettig oil in its fuel already.

For anyone reading the posts which suggest you clean your diesel engine by running petrol through it, be aware that it is not recommended by any engine manufacturer and will most likely result in engine damage, either due to pre-ignition of the fuel or erosion of the fuel system seals. I have seen several diesel engines destroyed after they were driven with petrol in the tank. I'm not saying that a cup of petrol in a tank of diesel will do damage, but unless you have a scientifically proven reason for doing it, think twice.

'ceptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭toxic_angel

ok i got a moped cos im a student living in the country and need a fast and cheap way to get to colllege..... daddy wouldnt buy me a car so i slaved all summer to get any form of transport so please lay off the serves ya right jibes

ive got someone (ex mechanic....80yrs old) to go in and clean the plugs and see what is to be done

thank u intercepter for being supportive

will update asap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

jaysus thats horrible... diesel in a moped... awful stuff.. You'd think those bastards in the petrol stations would like, I dunno, colour code their pumps or something.. bastards...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I also diagnose rymus has an over-active sarcasm gland. Accidents happen, I once got called to help a preddy laydee who had filled her engine with water, having confused the radiator and oil filler caps..... Let he who is without incompetence throw the first jibe.

'c

rymus wrote:
    jaysus thats horrible... diesel in a moped... awful stuff.. You'd think those bastards in the petrol stations would like, I dunno, colour code their pumps or something.. bastards...

yeah you'd think they'd write it on the pumps as well :rolleyes:

for yer fecking info the pump wasnt colour coded... there was nothing written on the pump and the sign saying diesel was after blowing away

also it was my 3rd day on the bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

jaysus will ya leave her alone it was a mistake....she wants advise not criticism, if ya dont have anything constructive to say dont say anything at all

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

To be honest I wouldn't worry too much.
    Moped engines are very simple, just clean out the system from tank to inlet, put in a new plug, and I'd say you'll be running again in no time.

jaysus, take a chill pill...

I actually posted again after Dr. interceptor but Murphys law being intact & all, it didnt actually save. It was one of those constructive/supportive/i know what a pain in the ass that is kinda posts.

if the pumps werent clearly marked, get your ass back to the service station and loose the head a bit... I'm not saying climb clock towers with sniper rifles or anything, just make them aware of their problem (and demand compo :D). Imagine if some business type in a big expensive car went in there and picked the wrong pump because there were no distinguishing markings between the two. There would be solicitors letters and leg breakings. Just remember one piece of wisdom; thin nozzle unleaded, thick nozzle diesel.

Good luck with the moped (after it's cleaned out and working properly again that is)

if it were me and there were no indications at all as to which pump was for what then i sure as hell wouldn't of guessed!!

• Advertisement

As has been said before, it was a mistake.
    Don't crucify her!

i know but its just fun ridiculing other peoples stupidity:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Haha in fairness you were asking for a bit of a slagging by posting that up in front of a load of boys on their high horse, power? "i know cars" "hah women drivers" "if it's not coupe its not ok" trip.

Although I particularly loved the post by your man who doesn't even listen to anything about diesel! You, my friend are not a good muppet, you're not a great muppet, you're a world-class muppet! Pompous arrogance on this level is always highly amusing! :D

Alhough I particularly loved the post by your man who doesn't even listen to anything about diesel! You, my friend are not a good muppet, you're not a great muppet, you're a world-class muppet! Pompous arrogance on this level is always highly amusing!

which one is that? I must have missed a page or something.. no, wait.. only two pages. time for a re-read

well guys heres the update..... i took out the spark plug.... cleaned it and then using the kick start i started running the bike at first it was just spluttering but after 10 min i was able to rev the eng a little..... finally got it going and i took it for a celebratery 30 mile spin and it as healthy as the day i bought it

thank u to all the supportive people

to all the sarcastic nasty posters..... u too will have a stupid day i hope ppl wont be as nasty to ye as ye were to me

no body will have *that* stupid a day;)

ZINNNNNNG!

we werent being nasty tox, you just have to get into the boards mindset when reading replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,392 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

rymus wrote:
    and demand compo

You must be from, ah yes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,392 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Forgot:

@toxic_angel: Glad you got it sorted :)

Everybody makes mistakes, it's rather more helpful if people provide solutions or at least try to rather than ridicule :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I almost put Diesel into my car the other day, I was running really low on petrol, and didn't have the choice of going to my usual Station garage so I stopped at an Esso station to put enough petrol in to get to my usual station.

Went to the pump picked it up put it into the nozzle and was just about to pull the trigger when I noticed the writing on the pump which said diesel, I thought that I must have been day-daydreaming.

I then realized that the pumps in this station are not very clearly marked as in both of the handles are big and green with large advertising space on them, and on the holder there is only a small black strip around the diesel pump and small green strip around the petrol pump. the only other differences are the writing on the actual handles which is small enough and I suppose if you where not concentrating (As I wasn't :)) you could mistakenly put the wrong fuel in your car as I almost did.

Another strange thing I thought about this station was that when you bought a sandwich inside you have to pay at the sandwich counter in cash and then go onto the normal counter to pay for your petrol and anything else like a bottle of coke, luckily they had an ATM otherwise I wouldn't of had any lunch.

Advertisement