Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Reid "frozen out" at Forest

• 19-09-2004 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0919/reid.html

If this becomes a long-term thing it has the potential to become a problem for Ireland, especially if nobody comes in for Reid in the transfer window.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Bit silly for Forest not to keep playing one of their better players until he (inevitably) moves... Sounds like some nasty sour grapes between Reid and Kinnear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

very stupid move by Kinnear.. with Forest 4th bottom in the League - he cannot afford to leave his best player out. And with Reid playing reserve football - his value will drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

In fairness though, isn't it what most fans would want if a player of theirs kept harping on about wanting away?

I'd say there's a few Everton fans would like to see Rooney get the same treatment at Goodison Park...

Anyway, I reckon it'll be sorted. I can't believe Kinnear will keep this up, Reid is just too good a player to leave playing with the stiffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

To be honest, I don't blame Kinnear for dropping Reid. Take a listen to the Kinnear interview, it's clear that he's sick of the constant Reid complaining and whingeing and had no other choice than to drop him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/realmedia/football/2005/forest_stoke_away_kinnear.ram

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Talk about cutting of your nose to spite your face. No matter how annoying it is to lose (the interest of) your best players, it's the 21st century and if an employee wants to leave, he will leave. All you can do is get as much cash as you can for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Talk about cutting of your nose to spite your face. No matter how annoying it is to lose (the interest of) your best players, it's the 21st century and if an employee wants to leave, he will leave. All you can do is get as much cash as you can for him.
    Reid has wanted to leave since he handed in his transfer request in the summer so that's not the reason he was dropped. He was dropped for been an idiot and Kinnear has been backing him from the start even when Reid was doing the opposite to Kinnear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

eirebhoy wrote:
    Reid has wanted to leave since he handed in his transfer request in the summer so that's not the reason he was dropped. He was dropped for been an idiot and Kinnear has been backing him from the start even when Reid was doing the opposite to Kinnear.

According to Reid he was given a verrbal assurance by the chairman that he would be allowed move last summer. The club did not honour that and understanably he is annoyed as like all other players he wants to do the best he can with his career and he is good enought for the premiership. Clubs can not keep players that want away and by not playing Reid Forest are devaluing their most valuable asset. Thats just stupid for a club in such a perilous financial position.

I can't see his value decreasing below £3m so the Forest chairman was right to reject Spurs' summer bid (he was foolish to reject their January bid of £5m + a player though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

eirebhoy wrote:
    I can't see his value decreasing below £3m so the Forest chairman was right to reject Spurs' summer bid (he was foolish to reject their January bid of £5m + a player though).

I concur Eirebhoy

It doesn't look like he's learnt much from been left out. Whether he agree's with the manager or not he needs to shut his mouth:
    After being left OUT of the squad for last Saturdays trip to Stoke, Nottingham Forest and Republic of Ireland winger Andy Reid has hit back at City ground boss Joe Kinnear for saying he does not want to play for the club.

Reid was dropped from the squad for the trip to Stoke on Saturday but said:

"After losing at Sunderland we were asked our opinions and I gave mine.

"In future I know not to give an opinion. He didn't have the courtesy to tell me he was dropping me himself.
    "If they didn't want to play me, why didn't they sell me? Why wait until the window is closed before dropping me?"

Reid admits he is frustrated to still be at the City Ground after handing in a transfer request, but said he has to keep playing to keep his place in the Republic of Ireland squad.

He told the Nottingham Evening Post:

"I made it clear before the transfer window closed that I wanted to be playing in the Premiership and I made that clear to the chairman.

"Now the transfer window has closed, I need to be playing for Forest because I want to be playing in World Cup qualifiers.

"I would be mad to do something silly like go on strike. It would be ridiculous and that is something I haven't done. I have been playing out of position in central midfield and I could have kicked up a fuss but I haven't.

"I don't know where we go from here. All I want to do is play."

Kinnear had earlier told BBC Radio Nottingham, where this story originated from, that he only picked players who were keen to wear the shirt.

"The club always come first and I want people who want to play for the club," said Kinnear.

"Some players have their minds on other things and while that is the case they will not wear a Forest shirt."
    http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=13930&mainheading=Republic+of+Ireland&viewstory=yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

smiaras wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I agree. a few bad results with their best player sitting on the sidline will see the fans looking for his head. I hope Kerr continues to pick Reid its not his fault the club are messing him about.

The Muppet wrote:
    I agree. a few bad results with their best player sitting on the sidline will see the fans looking for his head.
    The fans hate Reid so they won't go against the manager for dropping him. Kinnear deserves to finish the season at least. When he took over Forest were 3rd from bottom and hadn't won in 14 games. They had 29 points from 29 games. They then went on to get 31 points from their last 17 games and lost just twice. The club are right and its Reid thats messing them about.

eirebhoy wrote:
    The fans hate Reid so they won't go against the manager for dropping him. Kinnear deserves to finish the season at least. When he took over Forest were 3rd from bottom and hadn't won in 14 games. They had 29 points from 29 games. They then went on to get 31 points from their last 17 games and lost just twice. The club are right and its Reid thats messing them about.

Football fans are a fickle lot a few bad results can easily swing opinion. I am not privy to behiing the scene dealings at forest but Andy Reid is on record as saying he had a verbal agreement from the chairman that he would be allowed move last summer. If thats true the obviously it is the club that is messing him around. Its down to who you believe to be telling the truth and in this instance I believe Reid is.

The Muppet wrote:
    but Andy Reid is on record as saying he had a verbal agreement from the chairman that he would be allowed move last summer. If thats true the obviously it is the club that is messing him around. Its down to who you believe to be telling the truth and in this instance I believe Reid is.
    If Freddy Sheppard agreed to sell Craig Bellamy and the only bid they got was lets say £3m also, the chairman is hardly going to accept it. Reid knew he wasn't going to go unless it was at the right price and I'm sure the chairman told him that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

eirebhoy wrote:

Which fans are these? Although I'm unhappy to see Reid go, I do understand that he should be playing premiership football. Forest have every right to hold out for the right bid, but there have been some very sketchy reports of what actually happened with the Spurs bid, depending on who you talk to (some say they offered more, some say less).

Kinnear is well known for being stubborn and pig-headed and I'm pretty sure he's pissed off with Reid over the situation. That said, I'm still unsure why, after every scout in the premiership has seen Reid at the City Ground and at least 3 clubs have confirmed they made enquires, Reid did not leave during the summer. If its a case of the Club assuring Reid he can go and at the same time blocking the moves he has a right to bitch and whinge.

Kinnear is being an idiot by not playing Reid. It severely weakens the team and whether or not Reid wants to stay long term at Forest is notthe issue. He wants to play and give his all while he is there, which is what matters. I'm pretty sure this is politics on Kinnears part and Forest fans weren't overly joyed to see him instated in the first place, so they won't be too sad to see him leave if he screws up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I never have a problem with players playing when they've put in a transfer request as long as it doesn't affect their performance level or that of the team.

Mateja Kezman is a classic example. He spent a full season at PSV playing while being on a transfer request. He still played regularly and well and eventually they got a nice fee for him.

So long as a player doesn't do a Pierre van Hooijdonk and go on strike and deliberately cause problems for his team then theres no particular reason not to play them.

syke wrote:
    Which fans are these?
    these:
    http://forum.nffc.co.uk/ :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

eirebhoy wrote:

All two of them?

syke wrote:
    All two of them?
    5,000+. I read that forum often and Reid gets a bit of stick. Some may want him to play but that doesn't mean they like him. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I have been harping on about young Mr Reids skills on this forum for the past two season, I would consider myself an Andy Reid fan... but the last few weeks has not been good weeks for young Andy. I have watched him argue with other Forest player, look dis-interested and play as a shadow of his former self.

Yes he is good enough top fight football, but it doesnt mean that Forest will except any old offer for him. If a simalar offer to the one spurs tabled in Jan had come he would have been sold. I can understand that he is probably feeling down because he didn't get the transfer that he wanted, but until he actualy starts to look as if he wants to play for Forest, what choice does the manager have not play him in the team?

After the tragic events of yeasterday, do you think any Forest fan would like to see a player wearing the Garibaldi shirt if they did not wear it with pride?

A player is only worth what the top bidder is willing to pay for him. The financial situation is constantly changiing and the value of players has decreased rapidly over the last year as is evident by the players that moved for free over the summer. Forest Valuation of Reid is unrealistic they should have taken the money when it was on the table.

Advertisement