Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about writing CDs in XP

Options
  • 19-09-2004 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I have a file which I update every month and I want to write it to a CD once a month as a backup. I am using windows XP to write the CD, I am not using any special CD-burning software.

My question concerns previous versions of the file. If I write a new version to the CD with the same name what happens to the old versions? According to Windows XP the latest version will overwrite any previous version but I know that the old data must still be on the disk. Is there any way to view previous versions of the file? Also is there a limit to the number of times I can overwrite a file like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

XP doesn't support multi-session burning??? :eek:

Grab yourself a copy of Nero6 or Easy CD Creator instead, better to go with a fully fledged package...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I got NERO with my CD driver but never installed it. I'll root around to see if I can find the disk.

Will Nero allow me to browse through previous versions of the files?

What I am hoping to be able to do is to keep a backup where the latest version is visible but previous versions are accessible in an emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

When you append a CD with a file with the same name as a file already on the CD, the burning software changes the "pointer" in the file alocation table at the start of the CD topoint to the new file, and not the old file.
    The old file is still there, but cannot be referenced because the pointer to the file now points to the new version.

The only way around this is to create folders, and remaster the CD every month and add the current version of the file to a "backup folder" when you write the latest version to it.

It's also a good idea to rename the backup files with the date (e.g. MyFile-20092004.bak) so that you know exactly the version of the file that you have.

Advertisement