Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win XP restart problem

Options
  • 19-09-2004 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

HALLO!

I've got a really annoying problem at work... well many tbh....

But my main PC problem is that my win xp machine keeps restarting at indiscriminate times throughout the day. I know that restarts can be a problem from the sasser virus but I have all the security patches and norton patches that are available and I am still getting restarts. Here's what happens.

After starting up the pc I can have a full day of no problems. OR I can have 1 minute of no problems. I can use the pc for a ful day or I can use the pc for 1 minute and it restarts.

The pc just simply restarts - no questions - no statements - it just restarts without my will. And it is completely random.

The only help I have found is that it could be due to some transistor/capacitor in the motherboard that needs replaced as this type of problem isn't of the sasser variety - I don't get any warnings of a restart.

Does anyone know of why a win xp machine can simple restart without asking for it?

And concurrently, does anyone know why some women will look to your horoscope sign ONLY so as to make a date with you?

any help very gratefully received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭MazdaMan

You can stop XP from doing an automatic restart. It's a "Feature" of windows in the event of system failure, which I reckon is a bit sensitive.

Go into the Control Panel - Double click on the System Icon - Click on the Advanced Tab - Click on Setting in the "Startup and Recovery" section - Deselect the Automatically restart option. Click OK too all the menus. This will stop the restarts.

Horoscope - No idea, when someone figures out how women think let me know. Mysterious beings. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Is there any actions that can trigger the restart on a regular basis - any sort or steps to reproduce the problem.

If you are performing the same steps each time it restarts, that might point to where the fault lies.
    Do you have your machine opver lcocked or modified in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Thanks guys. I did that thing there MazdaMan but it did it again today. Although only once it restarted when I would imagine it would have done it at least 5 times in the day.

Haven't overclocked etc and I'm starting to look into things that may trigger it, there are sometimes programs that shut down on their own (eg windows messenger and I never have it enabled so I can't understand how it is starting up unless it really is built into outlook express. That sucks if so). However I seem to remember that sometimes it would shut down even if I wasn't at my desk. The only thing that would have run would be the auto-email download from Outlook express, that's all I think that would be active. I'm going to try unplugging the network cable as much as possible from now on.

I'm using adaware free now and it sometimes finds a malware dialler so maybe it could be something like that? I guess I should clean that kind of stuff as much as possible?

Will keep you guys posted if that's cool.

Thanks

Advertisement