Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bittorrent with Ambit Modems

Options
  • 20-09-2004 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Just Woundering you guys with the NTL ambit modems
    have you tried to use bittorrent and if so what speeds
    are you getting as i never seem to get over 50k or so download
    and i am on the 1.5meg Package

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

I also have the 1.5 package from NTL, although i dont have that modem so not sure how much help ill be :)

Anyway even with the 1,5 package, torrents are kinda freaky :) Your DL speeds can depend on any number of factors. Number of seeds, number of peers quality of the tracking sites.... firewalls ect there are so many things even the client can make a huge diff....

To help things out try lookin for help on some of the more Torrent specific web sites...

anyway its 2am and im goin 2 bed :) nite all

YAWN :eek: :eek:

Misty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I'm not on NTL, so here's some general questions - does the modem do NAT? If so, what control do you have over port-forwarding? To get the best BT performance on a NAT setup, you need to forward ports 6881-6999 to the internal IP address of the BT client. You might need to forward port 6969 as well.

Also, limit your BT upload bandwidth to 75-80% of your total upload bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I have the ambit modem on the 600 / 750 package. Bittorrent works fine, getting up to about 69kbps. The modem doesn't do NAT, it isn't doing anything that could be interfering with your bt.

like tomk said, check your upload settings (I use a program called netlimiter for it - it seems to work better than the built in upload throttles in bt).

Also, when i was using azereus I could never get good speeds. I changed to ABC (http://pingpong-abc.sf.net) and haven't looked back.

Finally - the relatively low upload speed on that package (compared to the download speed) might be holding you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

HOw much is the I.5MB, and how much would it be to transfer from Eircom? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

DingChavez wrote:
    HOw much is the I.5MB, and how much would it be to transfer from Eircom? :cool:
    It depends on where you live, it costs €50 a month but you are going to have to ring NTL first to find out if you are covered by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved.

Advertisement