Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garage Service Complaint (cowboys)

Options
  • 20-09-2004 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Here's the thing, had my car serviced in June, 3,000 miles ago. Full service. Brought it in to the garage (Crawfords, Sandymount). Specifically mentioned a noise (squeaky) towards the front right wheel, which happens when I break or turn sharply. They "do" the service I pick up the car - nothing wrong with the brake pads they're fine etc. Essentially I put it down to something else, and it not being a big deal.
    The noise persisted anyway, recently, an engine mangement light came on, so I decided to bring it in to Kenilworth Motors in Harold's X (various reasons, its an Opel, wasn't too happy with crawfords). They call me up - the brake pads are down to the metal (unrelated to engine mangement light). At this stage I'm thinking Crawford's did sweet f*ck all and just took my money and sent me on my way.
    I expect at least a full refund from Crawford's. However, as you know driving around without brake pads is very dangerous - could I be entitled to compensation etc.? If so, where would I address such concerns? Solicitor?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'd say approach crawfords first and tell them your story.
    Ask to speak to a manager straight away, not some pleb.

If you're not happy, say "thanks very much for your time, you'll be contacted shortly", and leave.

Your best bet is probably small claims court, where you can show up and tell your story without needing a solicitor etc. I presume you still have receipts etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

hopefully have the receipts somewhere.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It may be too late for you RE*AC*TOR but I would say to anyone get a full
    description of the work done and the cost of the individual parts etc, this gives you some hard copy proof. Its a pity we have to be careful but we do, some say if a part needs replacing mark it (in a subtle way) and put marks across the join when two parts meet which need parting to do a job.

Mike.

Advertisement