Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Hatchback?

Options
  • 20-09-2004 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

I'm looking at used motors at the moment in the 2002 bracket. I guess the main hatchbacks out there (with a decent wheelbase) at the moment are:
    Audi A3
    VW Golf
    Toyota Corolla
    Ford Focus
    Honda Civic
    Alfa 147

I suppose the A3 would be a nice buy but its a pricy one as well. Any thoughts/comments/criticisms?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Ok here goes:

A3 - prior to the new model (out late last year 2003) I didnt like the shape, its too round and looks like ****. The newer model I absolutely love, its a work of art and prob the best hatchback I've seen. The older models hold there value and are worth every penny cause of the build quality and reliability. 4 door option is better if you have family\friends who you plan on running around, but the 2 door always looks better.

Golf - I love them, have had 3 and planning on getting a new one in the new year (Its finally grown on me). A little on the pricey side (but not as pricey as the A3), but they really hold there value and once again great build and reliability. You can pick up a good 2002 second hand one with comfortline and maybe some extras if you shop around for a good price. Its a car you'll actually feel safe in.

Toyota Corrolla & Ford Focus - Reliable cars but looses a lot of value, not something I've had experience with so wait for others to respond.

Honda Civic - Again no real experience with these, but I do know they are one of the higest robbed cars in Ireland, cause they are easy to rob and have a bit of poke in them.

Alfa 147 - Nice looking but in my books not worth the money, Alfa have the same rep as Fiat, nice design but you'll end up spending a fortune on repairs and keeping it on the road.

To sum it up:

1. Golf or A3 - if you can afford them, the Golf imo is the better choice and value for money, it can be a lot up front but you'll get most of it back when selling on.
    2. Ford focus - if u cant afford the golf this would be my second choice, but be prepaired to hold onto it awhile as the resale isnt as good.
    3. Honda Civic - would be on the list but way down, it just doesnt do anything for me and has the same money values as the ford.

Ones to avoid - Alfa 147 and toyota Corolla, Alfa's are too much work and corollas say you dont care what you drive:)

Now I'm sure a lot of car drivers will pick what i said to bits, but it'll be down to personal taste - either way let us know what you decide ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

DirtyDog wrote:
    Now I'm sure a lot of car drivers will pick what i said to bits, but it'll be down to personal taste - either way let us know what you decide ;)
    Na, pretty good synopsis

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

Fair play DirtyDog. I can't argue with you on any ponts there.

We're just toying with the idea of consolidating our cars into one. Selling my current one might make me cry though (316i '97) :eek:

no worries James, it'll be hard to go to a smaller car esp from a nice 316i - maybe try get a TDI 130\150 bhp plenty of poke to make up for the loss, and the insurance will be kind to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Have to say I disagree with you DirtyDog. The Golf and old A3 are overrated in my opinion. The Golf looks good and holds its value well but that's about it. Handling, performance (of petrol engines) ride comfort, equipment are all below par. Reliability is also nothing special, it's OK but not as good as Jap cars.

In many ways, the GM Astra is a better car than the Golf, with a similar solid feel if that's what someone is looking for. Looks a bit crap though and have heard reports of poorish reliability.

I don't know why you say the Corolla doesn't hold its value. It does - as good as the Golf and possibly better, plus it's a nicer drive.

Maybe the Focus doesn't hold its value quite as well, however it is an excellent drive and even with the new model coming out soon it is still near the top of its class. I actually reckon the curent Focus is a better car than the newly introduced Mk5 Golf. If the OP is used to a RWD car like a Beemer he probably likes a good handling car, which the Focus certainly is.

All of this is just IMHO..:)

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

BrianD3 wrote:
    If the OP is used to a RWD car like a Beemer he probably likes a good handling car, which the Focus certainly is.

Have to say I rented a Focus 1.8 TDI abroad and was fairly impressed. Nice poke and handling. It turned me towards diesel although there are so few diesel 3 series in Ireland I had no chance of getting one. :rolleyes:

BrianD3 wrote:
    Have to say I disagree with you DirtyDog.

BrianD3

As suspected :) its all a matter of personal taste, I personally dont like Jap imports, and as for the ford I did say I liked it and put it as choice 2...I just prefer my VW's. Its like owners of BMW's (correct me if I'm wrong James) but once you own one its hard to change, you get use to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

If you are considering the 147, you have to also consider the Fiat Stilo. The Nissan Almera should also go on your list - I hate the looks but for reliability and economy they are hard to beat. You also have to add Pug 307, Renault Megane and Seat Leon (which as BrianD3 will tell you is based on a Golf, and so is very good). If you plan using the hatchback to load stuff in and out the A3 is unsuitable as the sill is too high, ditto the Golf. The 147 suspension turrets protrude so far they almost meet and you will be lucky to fit a litre of milk in the boot. The Focus is about to be replaced so I'd hold off in case the value of the old model falls due to the quantity being traded in. And as for the VW Golm, if you have always used the missionary position you won't see a reason to change. Now sit back and warm your hands at the flames...

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

And as for the VW Golm, if you have always used the missionary position you won't see a reason to change. Now sit back and warm your hands at the flames...

'ceptr

LOL :D

DirtyDog wrote:
    corollas say you dont care what you drive

If that's the case, then Golfs say that you think you're supposed to care what you drive ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Only experience I have is with the Focus. If you are getting one defo the TDCI, savage motor and very nippy, want to get one myself but will wait until next year and import a 04 from the UK, ex rentals.
    I have the 1.6 petrol and they are a lovely drive, I honestly have no complaints with it at all. Have it from new and have it over 3 years, would definately buy another.
    The new version is out in Nov I think. Have a look at www.4car.co.uk for a look.
    The TDI version is not great, very heavy so would not recommend, same with the 1.4, car is way to heavy for such a small engine.
    A3 is a fine motor but you pay big sponds for it but it does hold value

• Advertisement
Advertisement