Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email on an owned domain ?

Options
  • 20-09-2004 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

This is something I've had a problem with in the past & subsequently ended up giving up on it. If I own a domain & set up email on it "me@mydomain.ie" etc, the problem I have is ISPs don't allow relaying of mail. So how can I send/receive email ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Sign up for a hosting account or e-mail only hosting with a hosting company and there shouldn't be a problem.

Where are you setting up the mail addresses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

It's the send server I've had trouble with before, I was using eircom's for a while, then they blocked it, same with UTV, then pigsback...

None of them last past a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are you sending out many mails? I've found that more and more ISPs now won't allow relaying from inside their networks, except for their own email addresses (ie. you can only send mail from @eircom.net within eircom's network). Best thing to do is to set up an SMTP server on your local machine and relay mail from there (make sure to restrict access!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Not many at all... it just seems they shut down automatically after a couple of weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you are on Eircom DSL they should allow you to send email out, but you'd probably be better off getting an email only hosting account.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

blacknight wrote:
    If you are on Eircom DSL they should allow you to send email out, but you'd probably be better off getting an email only hosting account.
    €ircon do allow sending of emails that don't use one of their email addresses. I have a number of email addys for various domains that have local mails sent via mail2.eircom.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

kbannon

I know - my mother uses it for sending mail from a domain we host for her :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Skybird

If it is an Eircom eMail, then the problem maybe due to in-activity of A/C.
    Usually if A/C not used for something like 90days then it will not allow you access the email. If this is the case you will have to call them on 1550 233233 to re-enable the A/C.

Advertisement