Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do? virus or not?

Options
  • 20-09-2004 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

every time i run adware.. and/or turn on computer i get this virus alert from mcAfee. "C:\WINNT\system32\ntlord.exe\NTLORD.EXE
    virus name w32/spybot.worm.gen.a
    It wont let me clean it or move it.. i just have to press exclude a few times and it goes away. but I am worried. what is it?
    sorry but i am a computer newbie. any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Rather than run AdAware - I'd update my virus definitions and do a complete system scan if I was you...

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

If you have not updated your definitions in a while it will take quite a while to download via 56k so as an alternative use an online virus scan service....these have the most up to date defs...just do a google for some of the best.
    check your mcAfee settings for an auto update option and switch it ON..that way every time youre online the virus prog updates automatically.

hope this helps

Eirlink

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Should give you enough Info wink.gif

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_122149.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

check if it's running in your processes via task manager.
    kill the process and you chould be able to delete the file then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

perform a full system scan (after updating your virus definitions) in safe mode. usually ensures that any virus files that run at startup are not in use and can be removed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement