Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brian clough dead!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

RIP. His achievements with the less than attractive nottingham forest are legendary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Very, very sad news indeed.

Condolences to his family and friends.

One of the greats of the game.

Rest In Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

RIP

one of the true legends of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Can't believe he was only 69, always thought he was much older than he actually was! RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ouch :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

RIP.

The man was a footballing Legend and will never be forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

any chance of the title being changed. not a very respecting one if ya ask me.

will be missed

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'll echo what everyone else has had to say so far. The world of football would have been a much poorer place in his absence.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Definitely one of the true characters of english football over the years... There are not too many around today like him.

Some of cloughies best quotes:

On the importance of passing to feet: “If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there."

On the influx of foreign players in the British game: "I can't even spell spaghetti never mind talk Italian. How could I tell an Italian to get the ball? He might grab mine."

On how he rated himself: "I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."

Explaining his nickname: "On occasions I have been big-headed. I think most people are when they get in the limelight. I call myself Big Head just to remind myself not to be."

On Martin O'Neill: "If he'd been English or Swedish, he'd have walked the England job."

On the streaker who appeared during a Derby game against Manchester United: "The Derby players have seen more of his balls than the one they're meant to be playing with."

On dealing with Roy Keane: "I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard."

On his drinking: "Walk on water? I know most people out there will be saying that instead of walking on it, I should have taken more of it with my drinks. They are absolutely right."

On dealing with a player who disagrees: "We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right."

On not getting the England manager's job: "I'm sure the England selectors thought if they took me on and gave me the job, I'd want to run the show. They were shrewd, because that's exactly what I would have done."

On too many managers getting the sack: "If a chairman sacks the manager he initially appointed, he should go as well."

Referring to Sir Alex Ferguson's failure to win two successive European Cups: "For all his horses, knighthoods and championships, he hasn't got two of what I've got. And I don't mean balls!"

On women's football: "I like my women to be feminine, not sliding into tackles and covered in mud."

On then England goalkeeper David Seaman: “That Seaman is a handsome young man but he spends too much time looking in his mirror, rather than at the ball. You can't keep goal with hair like that."

On how he would like to be remembered: "I want no epitaphs of profound history and all that type of thing. I contributed - I would hope they would say that, and I would hope somebody liked me."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

legend, an absolute legend.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

VinnyL wrote:
    legend, an absolute legend.

RIP

The very same comments as my own .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

sikes wrote:
    any chance of the title being changed. not a very respecting one if ya ask me.

will be missed

RIP

Yeah I agree. Very untasteful.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shocked! :eek: I thought he was in pretty good sorts these days. :(

I'm of a generation that grew up beliving that there were 5-6 really big clubs and one of them was Forrest! It never occurred to me they were a small provinciall team who happened to be inspired by the best manager of his
    era. And as a Liverpol fan I include Bob Paisley in that!

He took two clubs who before him were minor players and who after him were minor players to a level that now simply could'nt be achieved.

Imagine Bolton winning the Premiership and the Champions League - twice!

Unique.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Legend

I would echo the post before this one and add cloughie was the best English manager England never appointed. I too was surprised he was only 69 . But for his drink problem he could have been still managing, A great character and a big loss to football.

R/ I P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I was shocked and devasted by the news that cloughie had died, the man is an absolute legend of the game.

R.I.P Cloughie you will stand on high as one of the best managers of all time, you will be sadly missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

BaZmO* wrote:
    Yeah I agree. Very untasteful.

B.

I think people can be too politically correct for their own good sometimes... :rolleyes:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with title. Its factual. I dont think cloughs family are going to be too disturbed by it...

The man is dead. Nothing wrong with saying it.

He will of course be missed. Great manager and personality of english football...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I'll never forget the image of him standing in the middle of a riot at the City Ground and smacking anyone in close proximity in the face.

A riot in progress and everyone avoiding one man in case they got in his way.

Respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I've a feeling that if the thread title was minus the ! it wouldn't have raised a whisper.

Anyways. I didn't find it offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I shall be going to the ground tomorrow. As a life long forest fan from a family of forest fans it feels as if a member of the family has passed away :(

Quite simply Forest where blessed to have such a great manager there.

RIP Clough, your already being missed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think people can be too politically correct for their own good sometimes... :rolleyes:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with title. Its factual. I dont think cloughs family are going to be too disturbed by it...

He will of course be missed. Great manager and personality of english football...

I'm not going to get into a debate on semantics and I don't think I was being overly PC. I just feel the title of the thread is a bit too tabloid for my liking.

And as for his family not being too disturbed by the title, I don't think there is any fear of them reading it tbh.

B.

• Advertisement
Advertisement