Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel 2k Password crackers?

• 20-09-2004 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Not as bad as it sounds. I have a user who managed to forget the password to a workbook.

Can anyone recommend a decent password cracker for Excel 2000 files? I have one at the moment that will only do brute force or simple dictionary attacks. I think the password is 8 characters or longer, so the program estimates it would take the best part of 2 days to try brute force against an 8-character password.

I only ask cos I got one which cracked a PST password in a few seconds. Don't go to any spectacular effort. If I don't get it by the end of today, I'm just going to tell her tough. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Maybe you shoudl do that anyway - make her learn from her mistakes and recreate the whole workbook!!

Then in a few days come back to her and say that you spent days and days at i tand you finally cracked it!

She learns a lesson, and you look good! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Advanced Office Password Recovery by Elcomsoft:

http://www.elcomsoft.com

Never failed me yet... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ChipZilla wrote:
    Advanced Office Password Recovery by Elcomsoft:

http://www.elcomsoft.com

Never failed me yet... ;)
    Yeah, that's the one I was using. I'm pretty sure she used a huge password though (made up of two big words), so she'd be faster guessing at it, than a brute force crack. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

She probably would :) . But if you get bored, Passware Password Recovery Kit is another good one. And Ontrack File Repair used to be able to do it with Office 97 files. Never tried that one with 2000 or XP though...

Advertisement