Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second BB connection

• 20-09-2004 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

Ok I saw a similar thread but I'm not that good with computers so thought I'd ask again as my situation is slightly different. Our family pc has eircom broadband, with normal modem. I'll be getting free iBook from college so I was wondering if we could somehow cheaply have me able to use my laptop in another room on BB while main pc still has it? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Get a wireless router and make sure your laptop has a wireless network card. Simple as that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Ok I saw a similar thread but I'm not that good with computers so thought I'd ask again as my situation is slightly different. Our family pc has eircom broadband, with normal modem. I'll be getting free iBook from college so I was wondering if we could somehow cheaply have me able to use my laptop in another room on BB while main pc still has it? Thanks
    How long have you had eircom broadband? For almost a year now, eircom has been supplying a modem with 2 interfaces, Ethernet and USB. If you have one of these Netopia Cayman modems, and the PC is connected via the USB connection, then you can simpley plug the Mac into the ethernet port on the modem.

If the PC is using the ethernet port, then you should probably get a simple ethernet switch for about €20 and share the connection. (You could probably use the USB connection, but I woulodn't recommend it).

If you have eircom broadband longer than that, and have a different modem, it might not be as straightforward. Post the details for more info.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

He wants to be in another room though with the laptop so wireless looks the only way to go?. Computers are so bad for family life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

dub45 wrote:
    He wants to be in another room though with the laptop so wireless looks the only way to go?. Computers are so bad for family life!

she!! and only so my dad cant lecture me bout how much time i spend on boards lol

she!! and only so my dad cant lecture me bout how much time i spend on boards lol
    You can easily get a 15M ethernet cable, which would be the cheapest solution, if you have a an acceptable way to run the cable from where the current computer is to where you want to be, and if the ethernet port is free.

If that's not acceptable, the answer still depends on what model of DSL modem/router you currently have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

If the main pc in your house is near or beside the room that you may have your i book connected to broadband,you could just buy a certain type of wire or it may be allready suppiled when you got your modem in the first place and connect it to the back of your i book & into the broadband modem in the other room.It's only possbile to do so if the broaband modem is in the room near to you.

Ok, according to my dad our pc is using the ethernet connection as when using the usb one there were some problems and eircom recommended he use the ethernet connection. My room's not that far from the pc..

Ok, according to my dad our pc is using the ethernet connection as when using the usb one there were some problems and eircom recommended he use the ethernet connection. My room's not that far from the pc..
    If the main machine is using the ethernet port, then you'll have to buy a router of some sort - the max length you'd get with the USB cable would be 2 metres, which probably wouldn't be enough.

So you'll need something like this. (I haven't used it, and I can't recommend what the best way to configure it to work with the Netopia modem would be, so caveat emptor).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

My humblest apologies Madam:) Your dad might start using messenger or something like that to lecture you from the other room!

Hmm ok, no way my dad'll pay that much for me to be on here all night!! Thanks anyways

• Advertisement
Advertisement