Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rpm's

Options
  • 20-09-2004 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Hello there... i just have a couple of questions about rpm's and what is the norm...

When other people are travellin down the m50 etc,, you're driving close to 70mph, and obviously you're in 5th gear, what does your RPM gauge say??

usually mine is at 2000rpm while on the average road at 30/40mph in the correct gear, but when i get up to 70mph it goes up to about 2500-3000rpms... i just want to make sure that this is normal as the car does rev quite a lot more than usual at that speed.. its my first car and i just wanna make sure that i'm not damaging it.. its a 1.2 punto(i know i know)..

plus what would be a good price for

'97 punto 60 SX, central locking, front elec windows, fogs, NCT/06, went through a full service 3 weeks ago, new fan belt/cover just put in and its in perfect condition(apart from the odd sctratch here and there, hardly noticable), 5dr and metallic blue.

I'm not gonna say how much i paid for it cos i wanna see what you guys would pay for it...plus i think i can get what i paid, maybe more :)

i know none of you have seen it but you all know what puntos look like,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

2500-3000rpm is hardly excessive for a small engine at 70mph. As for the car, personally I wouldn't have paid over e1000 for it. They were the biggest selling cars for all those years the government scrappage scheme was around so they're common as muck meaning plenty to chose from and they have a poor reputation, though I'm not convinced that most of this is not resulting from neglect by the owners. Many people who adopt a pennypinching attitude when buying, do the same for maintenance.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

speed/rpm also depends on various other factors such as gear & final drive ratio, load weight, wind, tyres & surface condition, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

The revs thing don't worry about. Most cars would do around the 3,000 - 3,500 revs at 70-80mph. Mine does around 4,000 at 80mph which is quite high (Alfa 156). The car should be comfortable enough doing revs up to around 4,500 at a constant rate (like you could travel along happily at 4,500 revs in 3rd gear doing about 60 mph and the car shouldn't overheat/compain too much)

As for the price, although personally I wouldn't buy a punto in a mad fit I would say that you could sell it for around €1500 maybe €2000 if you find a sucker. buyandsell.ie will usually give you a good idea of what price cars are going for these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

newband wrote:
    Hello there... i just have a couple of questions about rpm's and what is the norm...

When other people are travellin down the m50 etc,, you're driving close to 70mph, and obviously you're in 5th gear, what does your RPM gauge say??

RPM .v. speed for different gears will vary between different engines and gear boxes. Essentially it depends on the gear ratios. 3000 RPM at 70mph in 5th gear is perfectly normal for a 1.2 Punto. Don't worry about over stressing the engine. The max (red line) RPM on the punto will be up around 6-7000 RPM, so as long as you don't exceed that regularly for extended periods you're OK. It is worth noting though, that the higher the RPM - the higher the engine wear will be. So if you want to be nice to your engine, don't drive along at 60mph in 3rd gear. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

heheh, my bike would be doing 14000~16000 rpm at that speed depending on what gear i'm in.
    2500-3000 seems normal, even a bit low for a 1.2 car from my experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

alias no.9 wrote:
    2500-3000rpm is hardly excessive for a small engine at 70mph. As for the car, personally I wouldn't have paid over e1000 for it. They were the biggest selling cars for all those years the government scrappage scheme was around so they're common as muck meaning plenty to chose from and they have a poor reputation

Pretty much sums it up. On a private sale, with average mileage, a newish NCT and everything in pwo, you're looking at €1500 - €2000
    echomadman wrote:
    heheh, my bike would be doing 14000~16000 rpm at that speed

You deaf yet ;)

My car does about 1800rpm @70mph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

unkel wrote:
    My car does about 1800rpm @70mph
    that's pretty handy for watching the TV I suppose!

I'd be about 3300rpm @70mph in 5th

that's pretty handy for watching the TV I suppose!

There's sound only if vehicle is not stationary I'm afraid ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, my bike sits at around 11,000rpm at 70mph, which is about as far as I'll push her. The wind at that speed is much louder than the engine. :) From my experience with Puntos, that's a fine amount of revs for the speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

seamus wrote:
    Yeah, my bike sits at around 11,000rpm at 70mph, .
    this is the moment where you change to 2nd gear :D

Unkel,
    I say BM is nearly silent at this 1800rpm.

• Advertisement

Gmodified wrote:
    Unkel,
    I say BM is nearly silent at this 1800rpm.

Driver and passenger can whisper and still understand each other :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote:
    Driver and passenger can whisper and still understand each other :)
    Bear in mind you have loads of insulation on your 7er. Do you get to hear much tyre noise?

Dunno really, they are 245/45 ZR 18, so taller and wider than standard. I don't know if this produces more or less noise compared to standard?

Their noise doesn't bother me - it seems normal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

You deaf yet

Nah, helmet + mp3 player on whenever i'm out on the road. although i started it in the alley outside work the other day without my helmet on and was astonished at how loud it is :) , my neighbours must hate me as i generally arrive home at 2 or 3 AM. the redline starts at 16,000rpm and maxes out at 20,000.

Advertisement