Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to BroadBand Q - Thinking of getting BB , who's the best??

• 20-09-2004 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

After ages of testing and failing line tests, my phone line has now passed the online test. I'm looking into which service provider to choose for BroadBand.

Who's the best at the moment. I know there are different factors here. Any advice, opinions or directions appreciated ....

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if you play online games and want a big cap then go for IOL
    if you don't play online games and want a big cap then go for UTV.
    if you want neither of these go for eircom.

i would check to see if you are in a NTL broadband area. ring them on 1800 321 321 (i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

LizardKing wrote:
    After ages of testing and failing line tests, my phone line has now passed the online test. I'm looking into which service provider to choose for BroadBand.

Who's the best at the moment. I know there are different factors here. Any advice, opinions or directions appreciated ....
    If you're price conscious, then you're choice has to be between UTV and IOL, because everyone else charges €38-40 for the basic package. If you spend more than €15 on "ordinary" phone calls per month, then IOL Broadband & ESAT Advantage is the best deal going - http://www.iol.ie/bundles/bb_adv.htm. That's €33.15/month for DSL.

The UTV price of €30/month is cheaper, but the USB modem that UTV provide is not good enough, IMO, and it'll cost more to replace than you'll save on the monthly charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Scenic911

Hi LizardKing,

How did you go about testing your line? My Local exchange was just switched on for BB but I'm in some sort of BB blackspot. Phone Eircom today and they "tested" my line normally but could not do so for BB. So any pointers will help.

Cheers,

Scenic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Scenic911 wrote:
    Hi LizardKing,

How did you go about testing your line? My Local exchange was just switched on for BB but I'm in some sort of BB blackspot. Phone Eircom today and they "tested" my line normally but could not do so for BB. So any pointers will help.

Cheers,

Scenic
    The www.eircom.ie/broadband has a check my phone line now section, I assume its just a cross check on all numbers that have passed the BB tests or that have been upgraded to pass them ...

Also thanks for the feedback

I'm gonna look into the UTV and IOL offers further ...

Cheers

LK--<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Just wondering has Utv got into the swing of things now in regards to keeping a tab on your d/l limit(like iol do), as at the start it seemed to be a free for all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭LizardKing

cubix wrote:
    Just wondering has Utv got into the swing of things now in regards to keeping a tab on your d/l limit(like iol do), as at the start it seemed to be a free for all
    AFAIK it does and they give you the option to cut off when you reach youyr limit or continue and get charged per MB ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

UTV is running lousy today :rolleyes:

Very sluggish. Feels like dialup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Nyum Nyum wrote:
    UTV is running lousy today :rolleyes:

Very sluggish. Feels like dialup.

Yes! It's been awful all day today, getting 3kbps average then sometimes 0kbps (loss of connection with server). I've noticed the pings have gone crap again since they fixed it last month too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Seems grand here at the moment..

[19:12:08] Transferred 1 file totaling 1,711,893 bytes in 34.39 seconds (49.1 KB/s)

(off heanet ftp)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Yes it was poor this evening - hardly able to complete the speed test, went away for an hour and its back to normal..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Well I ordered IOL broadband basic at the start of September (it was a Friday) and the following Thursday they sent me out the modem and stuff. 20 minutes later it was all set up and going great! 50k download speeds usually, pretty nice compared to the shocking 3k I was getting with dial-up (bad lines in my area).

One week later I got a letter saying it might take a while for my line to be activated because of the success of their free trial offer... despite the fact that I had already been using the service for a week. IOL seem to be getting ahead of themselves! Its all good though.

So I'd recommend IOL, they're reliable and speedy and not a very expensive option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Scenic911

Cheers..Lizardking, I thought you had taken drastic measure to get yor line checked out. I had been trying to get Eircom to get thier finger out to enable my line or phyiscally test it and have been giving the run around with hopping customer reps...AHHHHH. As they say patience is a virtue !!!

Later,

Scenic

Advertisement