Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American idiot

Options
  • 20-09-2004 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Green Day's new album - Can't praise it enough!

Its less punky den previous albums but I love it! Got it on friday n havnt stopped listenin!

And the special edition is cool the cover is a book - I smell a Radiohead rip off

What do yas think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

haven't bought the album but that rock show on fm104 did an interview+played some songs. i was surprised to hear a 9 minute "rock opera" track. good stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Theres two of them type tracks.

At first I was very put off by its lack of punk like sound in some of the songs, but listening to it today it has started to grow on me once you look at it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's more rock in sound and more punk in thought than their older stuff. I like it though. Can't see anything wrong with changing their sound a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

It's all brilliant, except "We Are The Waiting", which is ****e. I was expecting a few more songs sounding like "American Idiot", but it's good as it is. "Letterbomb" is very Kerplunk/Dookie sounding. Everything else is pretty new in sound for Green Day. Really like "Jesus Of Suburbia".

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Jesus Of Surbubia is a really good song. I especially like the way the different parts are blended together very well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭verdidnt

I agree with Calhoun, thats a great song and at first I didn't think Green Day could pull off a track longer than 5 mins but they do it very well.

The long songs are arranged like a couple of songs merged together, much like "The Decline" by NOFX, even though that song is 18 minutes!

My favourite song on the album is "Holiday".

*SNIP*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

verdidnt wrote:
    *SNIP!*

Haha... ye loon! See ye later!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I likes it, jesus of suburbia great, Boulevard of Broken Dreams is good too but does anyone think "which avril lavigne song does this song sound like?" when your listening?

well done guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sugarboobs

ok... i think the album is soo gud!! its new green day but it still has they're old style in some of the songs!!! i love it n listen to it all the time!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Two Words: F**kin brilliant!

IMO, Green Day's best album, (yes, yes, yes, better than dookie)!

They've reinvented themselves in this album (f**k it, after Shenanigans they bloody well had to) to a more-rock-less-punk group.
    I love every single track, but esp Wake Me Up When September Ends, Give Me Novacaine, We Are The Waiting, and Jesus of Suburbia.

Yeah, Boulevard of Broken Dreams does have a bit of an avril lavigne-ish quality to it... Doesn't matter tho, it's still a great song regardless.

Nice one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Graham Day

Its a classic album but people wont except it as being better than Dookie. Its like if a band came out that were better then the Beatles, people will still say that the Beatles are the best band ever. Its just the way people are. Anyway Nimrods been their best album to date in my opinion. Till American idiot of coarse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i havnt got it yet, and i call myself a fan, shame on me.

just bought it and listened to it.

that is a very different Green Day to the one i started to listen to back in '94.

i'm not sure if i like it yet, some of the songs are not punk in any way.

the songs i definitly like after one listening are: st jimmy, letterbomb, jesus of suburbia

not too sure about this...... the cd will require a good month or so to see if i like it or not, i'm scared....could this be the first GD album i dont like?....ididnt like warning, but then it kind of grew on me....we'll have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭latimer

Wasn't too keen on Warning, and the I think change of direction is good. Jesus of Suburbia, Holiday & Boulevard of Broken Dreams are standout tracks IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I was killing time in HMV last night and that album was playing and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I'd call myself a casual Green Day listener, i.e. my brother was into them years ago and I'd listen when he listened to them but I wouldn't go out of my way.
    Anyway lads, looking for a recommendation, I had International Superhits in my hand for €10 last night but decided against getting it in the end, will this be a good reintroduction to them ?

There is something I wholey dispise about this album.

There is something I wholey dispise about this album.

agreed, there is something about this album that upsets me alot....

Its a good album, if it was anyone except Green Day I'd probably have no problem with it.

But there is something......dammit.

Jip wrote:
    Anyway lads, looking for a recommendation, I had International Superhits in my hand for €10 last night but decided against getting it in the end, will this be a good reintroduction to them ?
    Wouldn't think so. It's just their singles really. I'd say Dookie. It's by no means their best, but it's a good place to start. But then again I don't like best of's at all, so it might be just as good a place to start as any. If you do start to like them though, you'll just buy all the albums, and then Superhits will have been a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Graham Day

Green Day are the biggest punk band in the world. They're there to be challenged. Its an amazing album. You cant spank out the same music for 20 years you have to change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

I likes it, jesus of suburbia great, Boulevard of Broken Dreams is good too but does anyone think "which avril lavigne song does this song sound like?" when your listening?

well done guys!

Haha. I was thinking the Avril Lavigne thing too. On the album, i think its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

meh got it today and after the first listen, then half listen by running over the tracks (ripped to hd) i cant say im that impressed. It will probably grow on me, i didnt like the american idiot single at first but im begining to warm to it. So i suppose the album will take a few run through's before i know if i like it or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Downloaded it earlier today and cant say I like it yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I really like it a lot. I like the way they have changed their sound. There are some "Dookie-esque" parts, but I love Dookie, so that's not a bad thing.

Still not as good as Insomniac though, that's my favourite. So good in fact, that when my firend got it the day it came out, I got a lend of it from him, and he only managed to get back during this summer :eek:

yeah insomniac is good but people slate it all the time. some great tracks: walking contradiction panic song, brain stew/jaded, tigh wad hill, brat and 86, 86 is a ****ing brilliant song, especially live.

as for american idiot, i believe it will grow on my and soon i will love it..

seansouth wrote:
    Still not as good as Insomniac though, that's my favourite. So good in fact, that when my firend got it the day it came out, I got a lend of it from him, and he only managed to get back during this summer :eek:
    Ha! Quality. I'm rather a fan of Insomniac myself. It used to be one of my least favourite of their albums. But over time it worked it's way up. I'd say it's their 3rd best.

I really like American Idiot, but I'm not sure yet how it compares to their other albums. If it was any other band (bar a few) to release an album like this I'd expect it to be the best or near enough to it. But with Green Day it really has to be something special to top previous cds.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The album is really amazing... definantly one of the best of the year (along with Jimmy Eat World's 'Futures')!

Least favourite track is definantly 'Extraordinary Girl'... sounds too "Beatles-eque"!

Too many great songs to pick a favourite!

Next single is 'Boulevard Of Broken Dreams'.. released on November 22nd.

I really thought Holiday would be the next release. Figured Boulevard Of Broken Dreams would have been in there at some point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭nicryan

Graham Day wrote:
    ... Anyway Nimrods been their best album to date in my opinion. Till American idiot of coarse

well I'd have to disagree....I reckon nimrod is still their best...but only by a very small way over insomniac, followed up in third by dookie....with american idiot falling in behind those...

Nic

• Advertisement
Advertisement