Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so what did you end up joining?

Options
  • 20-09-2004 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

anybody join societies and then think 'why?'. I got talked into joining the actuary and finance society!!!, some people are too good with words.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

Yep. I was barely in the door and the chemsoc people jumped on me. + musicsoc, newmansoc, medsoc, L and H... For some reason i signed up for ninjitsu aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yeh i joined photosoc, dramsoc, an cumann gaelach, L&H (damn them), and labour youth. (go me)
    I signed up for the softball team. YAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Anyone signed up for the Rifle Club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Joined B & L , chemsoc and pharmtox

Was actually intersested in joining C & E as well (to actually participate) but the only reply i got to the question of 'so what do you ACTUally do?' was 'ehh we pordy alot' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Sparks wrote:
    Anyone signed up for the Rifle Club?

I would have but where were they?

I got the impression that the tent stays up all week (but I could be wrong, I'm a not so iccle first year).

If not, I presume I can just come along some night soon to the range and sign up there?

tribble

• Advertisement

Oh and staying on topic.

I joined Netsoc, Philsoc, Photosoc, SciFi ('cos of the hot girls), IEASTA (sp?) and some other two letter abbreviation that I can't remember (but that had great free stuff...)

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Yes damn the hot girls - i'm sure they're put on the stands because of they're brilliant sales pitches lol :)

tribulus wrote:
    Yes damn the hot girls - i'm sure they're put on the stands because of they're brilliant sales pitches lol :)

It wasn't their sales pitch that caught my attention.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

i think i signed up for medsoc, filmsoc, games soc, lau gar, karate and i just couldnt resist the kickass weapons on the ninjitsu stall-damn them and their effective brainwashing. Once they start talking about it, theres no way that you can refuse joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Netsoc (1024MB FTP space...*drools*), SciFi, MathSoc, re-joining TKD, want to go back and join a few more. Appropriated a lot of free sweets in the tent yesterday. So many n00bs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*cough*Join TKD!*cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I havent been down near the tent yet so I've yet to see what will take my interest.Im thinking of L&H,Dramsoc,Netsoc and Filmsoc.Also gonna sign up for Rifle and Archery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I havent been down near the tent yet so I've yet to see what will take my interest.Im thinking of L&H,Dramsoc,Netsoc and Filmsoc.Also gonna sign up for Rifle and Archery.

Pretty much what I joined in first year. Joinin L&H is a bit pointless, you don't have to be a member to get into the debates or anythin... Dramsoc, Netsoc and Filmsoc are pretty good though, will join them again. Can't be arsed joinin rifle and archery again... Or L&H. And the SWP can feck off this time. And the History Society. In fact, loads of them are just plain cr*p... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ishnid

tribble wrote:
    Oh and staying on topic.

I joined Netsoc, Philsoc, Photosoc, SciFi ('cos of the hot girls), IEASTA (sp?) and some other two letter abbreviation that I can't remember (but that had great free stuff...)

tribble

Where the hell did a SciFi society get hot girls? They *have* to be paying them.

SebtheBum wrote:
    Can't be arsed joinin rifle and archery again...
    Which prompts the immediate question of "Why not?". Seriously, because if there was something that you wanted from either club that you didn't see there and you can actually say so, there's a chance that they can fix it - whereas if you just say "erra, they're ****e, loike, d'ya know?" then, well, what bloody use is that?

Sparks wrote:
    "erra, they're ****e, loike, d'ya know?" then, well, what bloody use is that?

Eh, if you knew me, you'd know I'd never f**king say that - I'm from London for f**k's sake, I'm hardly gonna say "loike" now, am I?!

Besides, I'm not tryin to tell the societies to change, I'm just sayin' they were a let-down IN MY OPINION. We're still allowed to have those, right? :rolleyes:

Cheers,
    Seb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i joined the sub aqua club so far. i was considering joining the canoe club, but its pretty time consuming. they're up all week, so i'll have another think about it i reckon.

btw the sports clubs are all in the sports hall this year, last year everything was in the tent. haven't joined any socs cause most of them haven't caught my interest. i joined sci fi last year but all they do is hold movie nights, and no one talked at any of the ones i went to! :(

SebtheBum wrote:
    Besides, I'm not tryin to tell the societies to change, I'm just sayin' they were a let-down IN MY OPINION. We're still allowed to have those, right? :rolleyes:
    But that's the whole point I was trying to make - the societies (the ones with their heads on straight anyway) know that if they want to survive, they need to listen to their members' complaints and change where it's a good idea - so if you have an opinion on the club or what it could so with or what you'd like to see in it, you ought to say so because believe it or not, they want to know.
    Now, some ideas might not fly (paintball sessions were tried once or twice and nearly bankrupted the TCD club, for example) and some might not be allowed by college, but some may be adopted - that's how TCD started shooting air rifle, for example.

ah, yeah. True enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

some how i ended up joining the life soc, i just got so enraged talking about abortion that i must have gotten totaly confused..and i somehow ended up giving them my money...anyway i ended up joining the music soc, the photography soc and the visual arts soc which i'm really looking forward to, i probably should take up a sport but...i think that the whole multiple bus journeys in the morning is excercise enough, considering it near impossible to get a seat on the 10 in the morning and then theres the journey into town prior to that wher u have to nearly polt volt over kids bags to get a seat-y take a bus to school when its like 3 stops away?!?!?leave it for people who need a seat,for like a hr long (and on occasion hour long PLUS journey just to get half way to where they are going...grrr) I'm really happy friendly person..honest :D

• Advertisement

another two.....jazz soc, which sounds really cool - the guy just sat there eating toast, and lawsoc - for the ice cream i swear....

oh yeah, snowboarding aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Pyshc soc, Drama soc, L+H. Labour youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A load of these societies sound pretty good... but if I join them all, how will I get time for them? Are they all on at the same time? Or on weekends? Or wha? lol. Will I get time for studying? :p Does anyone have a complete list of ALL the socs? There's a handful listed on the UCD website, and there's a few on the UCDSU forum, but only the larger ones... Any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

You won't get time for them all, maybe two or three on a regular basis.
    Lots of them you will never hear from again.
    They run events on whatever days suit, you obviously can't have a weekend trip away on a wednesday afternoon. Most activity is mon-fri in the afternoons and evenings, with plently of exceptions.
    The UCD website has a list of the soc's respective websites, they'll also be in a booklet you get at the start of the year (1st years anyway).

And...
    oldposts.jpg

This wasn't from 3+ years ago :p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Would you have prefered if I made a new thread just to ask a few questions about this topic...?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

DaveMcG wrote:
    Would you have prefered if I made a new thread just to ask a few questions about this topic...?

Duh

• Advertisement

Wow, fun guy

Advertisement