Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so what did you end up joining?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 venice_irk

sports clubs >>> socities. imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

True :)
    *obligatory TKD plug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 venice_irk

no once to rk but if you're doing "martial arts" in ucd do judo/bjj/wrestling. tkd is for chicks.

I *am* female. So saying my MA is for chicks is NOT an insult.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Auditor training is on the 11th this year. There goes €50-€100!

Lots of people join everything and go to nothing. Join a few things and check them out before settling. Some societies are very small but pretty active *cough* ELS *cough*. Others do nothing, but look impressive. Go for something you have an interest in. You can join clubs and societies after freshers week too, it's just the usual that everyone signs up on freshers week.

Most of all, get the free stuff. Bus Eireann, HMV etc. will be there, even if it's just with student discount cards. Get them, 10% becomes a lot of money when you're a student!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

venice_irk wrote:
    no once to rk but if you're doing "martial arts" in ucd do judo/bjj/wrestling. tkd is for chicks.

Well in that case TKD is the one for me...... lots and lots of ladies......... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pilson

I joined rifle soc for a fiver and got three free pints from them in a private piss up in the forum upstairs bar so got more than my moneys worth straight away...
    The simpsons society was kinda fun. there was a duff beer night. (Stuck a duff beer sign over the fosters tap... :( )...but was still good fun.
    Netsoc is a good one.....gotta love those linux freaks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm probably gonna join rifle soc -- did you actually go to the shooting things or just get the beer and leggit? :D If so, is it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

i'm gonna join boxing,kickboxing basketball frisbee and possibly filmsoc... if i get the time, some of us hav to work :(

• Advertisement

Yep... I've worked for pretty much my entire time in UCD and I've still been involved heavily with TKD and gone to stuff for other societies too.
    *hides exam results*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

how you's do it I don't know, i quit in november of first year after working saturday and sunday 8-6 :mad: as well as 9-5/6 most days in college.

*shows exam results...but covers up maths*

You just gotta be good with time management. I work weekends, Saturday 9-6 and Sunday 12-6, as well as 2 evenings during the week during term.. Means you've gotta try and fit in study whenever you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pilson

DaveMcG wrote:
    I'm probably gonna join rifle soc -- did you actually go to the shooting things or just get the beer and leggit? :D If so, is it any good?

I just went to that one night with the free booze.
    My mate went to the shooting things.Cant remember what he thought of it.. Ill ask him when I see him next... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Does anyone have a FULL list of all societies and clubs somewhere? There's about 20 socs listed on the ucd website and that, but from what I understand there's over 100! Did anyone ever go to the bother of listing them all? There's a telephone number that you can ring that lists all the societies, how much would that cost a minute? Or is it free? I don't wanna spend a 10er to find this out! Thanks

EDIT:

This is the best I can find!
    http://www.ucd.ie/social.htm

EDIT2:

Is there an angling/fishing club? :D

Advertisement