Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which mobile network is best?

• 20-09-2004 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is the proper topic to send this thread to, admin can swap it if they wish. I've been a billpay customer with Vodafone for the past 6 years, and I'm beginning to find them a complete ripoff. Can anybody advise me which of the 3 networks would have the best package for me personally??? I've tried finding out on the net but I don't have broadband so it takes ages and, frankly, I don't have the time as I have 2 small kids. I text rather a lot (probably 50 a month) but I actually spend very little time talking. At the moment I've 50 minutes free talktime per month which I never use up, but I then have to pay for my texts. The bills are rather high, but there must be some tariff that would facilitate me. Can anybody help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I was VF for 2+ years PAYG and after finding that to upgrade my old handset would cost me €40 more than to actually buy a new O2 handset with SIM, I decided to move.

That package came with €70 credit (spaced over 3-4 months) plus a card with 100 free texts, which usually costs €7.50. Like any PAYG calls are not cheap especially to outside networks, but like you I mainly use texts with the odd work call or family/friends call. I dunno how you'd fare out on other networks' bill phones but for me the switch to O2 makes a difference. A lot of people here say Meteor is great too, but I've never looked into it and their handsets are a fair but more expensive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Meteor are by far the cheapest network. They give you credit for nothing. Also you'll have free texts to other meteor numbers. The only thing is you get what you pay for, its the most unreliable network. Still, it has improved. If you want to save money meteor is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Now that the prepay rates on Meteor have dropped to 20c per min to all national landlines & all mobile networks and 9c per text combined with no monthly minimum. It's hard to beat.

Cal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

meteor is fantastic, its just gotten better and better, coverage seems to be everywhere for me now.

Free txts and mms msgs to all 085's if ya top up by 20euro a month, can still use that 20euro for other stuff, you also get free credit at the end of the month depending on how much ya put on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

As what Gideon said, but adding that to ring 085-085 only 9c , 085-08*/Landline 20c.

And that free credit thing, its cool, they just give u 2/3e for topping up over the month, coverage is constantly improving though the amount of "Turn ur f*ckign fone on" messages i get are still there, but slowly decreasing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm a billpay customer on Vodafone and I recently changed over to a Talk and Text tariff. For E30 a month, I get 100 texts and 30 mins of calls to any Irish number (this includes other mobile operators). I had recently found that texts were really addding to my bill, while most calls I was making were to 085 and 086 numbers. This tariff suits me far better than the old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭samo

yeah am going to chg to talk and text on vodafone as currently on active which gives 75 mins to all numbers 75 free to one no and 75 texts as an add on for 38e but find vodafone hugely expensive on GPRS charges. I moved from meteor to pay later on vodafone a few months ago but will move back to meteor as soon as contract up. The service is good in dublin and they are much cheaper.

You could also do meteor 75 on bill, 75 mins of calls and 75 texts but only thing is mins dont carry over, charge is 25e p/m though which is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Same as above.

If you're only really in the cities, Meteor is the way to go, because its the cheapest.
    If you need reception, choose O2 and if you send lots of texts you should get the 7.5c text bolt on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

I have the €50 per month Talk and Text Package with Vodafone. 100 free minutes (can be used peak or off-peak) and 100 free minutes to any one Vodafone number (off-peak only). 150 text messages per month. Unused minutes carry over to the next month, unused texts do not. Good package, but I do make an awful lot of calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Thank you, very much, all of you, you've been so helpful! I'm going to go through all the replies and try to decide which is cheapest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

I know that if you ring vodafone and tell them how you use the phone then they will find the best tariff for you , so do an estimate of how many texts and how many mins of talking you and ring customer care.
    It's free and they do the work .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Meteor are cheapest it would seem, but like someone already said, if you aren't in a city, the reception is USELESS.

Vodafone to me are the best... been with them since I was 16 or 17.
    Best coverage and good customer service (although I would say that - my ma works for them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

Metoer are cheaper by about a 3rd. So if your bill averages 50-100 for a month, you're talking €200-400 saving over a year.

Coverage was fine in Dublin, patchy elsewhere, but they just signe agreement to use O2's network. So now coverage is as good as their's or Vodafone.

Meteor and Vodafone customer service is not as good as O2, but apart from when you set up your phone, you don't really talk to them that much. So why pay €10-€20 a month for something you don't use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

if you aren't in a city, the reception is USELESS.

Maybe it was just me, but when I was with them I had reception in pretty much all parts of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Meteor are great there Network has improved excellently over the last year and there deal with O2 means they now have nationwide coverage , i've never had a problem getting a signal and there prices are brillant, i dont undersatnd why anyone would ever stay with vodaphone sure they charge 10.50 for 10 credit?? WTF??

Also meteor do €5 credit which comes in handy when your broke :)

Advertisement