Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

unusual situation

• 20-09-2004 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Just want to hear peoples most unusual classes/situations in martial arts.
    heres mine:
    I am doing judo in a bombshelter which has been dug under a mountain/hill, to get into the class I have to pass through several bulkheads and blast doors. The ceiling is carved out rock. The classes are held entirely in finnish (A language i currently do not speak), I have to get minute translations from fellow classmates and the instructor usually only speaks english to me if i do something right or wrong (usually wrong as I dont know what i have to do). So I get through classes by trying to copy the instructor and other classmates.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Chopper George

It would have to be the time the instructor reached into the students mouth, pulled his entire skeleton out and proceeded to tango on the mat with it in front of his dumbfounded and jellylike skin structure.

Just joking :-)

Actually, one of the most uncomfortable (unusual) situations Ive been in, involved the externally hired and married instructor of a martial art within a well known Dublin college who proceeded to fiddle with the female students and made every attempt he could to get into their gi....

Was very uncomfortable and some people left the club because of it. Was a newcomer to MA at the time and lost all respect for the teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

wow chopper. had u not said Just Joking i would have asked for directions to the classes.

as for Unpossible: Im sure u heard the story of the young man in Japan who wanted to study with this family, famous for their MA. They only allowed family to study so he got a job at their dojo/house (combined..) and cleaned up every day. When they practised he would spy through a fence, and at night practise their moves. One day he was caught spying, brought before the Sensae. The Sensae asked what he could do, the young man showed him some routines(cant think of correct word here...). The Sensae said very well, and asked the man to join his class the next day.

Basically its possible to get through with just looking and trying, and you'll make a more concious effort to get it right, so could be good for u.

Anyway, tis but my early morning babble ..

night kids
    brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Aikido-DAA

I had a teacher who was waiting for a train with a very famous sensei. They got bored so sensei asked my teacher to attack him and he would use his umbrealla as if it was sword. So my teacher attack him to try to get the sword. Sensei threw him up and down the platform. So they did this a few times to the amusment of everyone but sensei kept a dead pan face. Until he opened the umbrealla as my friend went to attack. Then he howled with laughter for a good 10mins..! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Bepetki

I can barely think of anything except this one time in UCD (many years ago) and there was a demo being held during a tournament. One guy had a spear and and the other was defending with nunchaku (comical... I know).

Anyway the spear was thrust towards the nunchaku guy's face, but was parried upwards by the nunchaku string/ chain. The guy with the spear then pulled down and, in a looping motion, pulled the sticks out of the nunchaku guy's hands. Then yer man with the spear tried to hook the sticks back by flinging them around but he lost control and the sticks went flying into the audience.

They ended up crashing into the side of some poor old dear's head at a ferocious speed and knocked her clean out. She was carried off on a stretcher to an ambulance.

It made me wonder that for all the swords and blades and weaponry flying around, why wasn't there any barriers? It could've turned out a lot worse.

Advertisement