Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnny got his gun

Options
  • 27-12-1999 9:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

has anyone heard or seen this film?
    its based on a book by dalton trumbo .
    its directed by dalton trumbo smile.gif

its extremely difficult to get, and i havent been able to find it anywhere
    if anyone can help me find this...
    man i would be grateful smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Mmmm, you are quite the Metallica fan aren't you? smile.gif I saw this film when I was in Holland about five years ago, it was a Dutch pirate copy with really crap English subtitles. As to where you would get it nowadays, no idea I'm afraid.

Its been unseen for years cos Trumbo was blacklisted by McCarthy et al in the 1950's as a unpatriotic Commie, mainly on the basis of Johnny Got his Gun cos of its profound antiwar message, but also for some of his other work.

However, if you wish to read the novel, which is superb, go to http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553274325/o/qid=946327338/sr=8-1/104-5776668-5839659 where you could order it from them, or try around yer local bookshop to see if you can dig it up.

I looked for it in Hodges Figgis bout three years ago, but it was out of print, however the all-knowing Amazon say they can ship it in 24 hours, so it must be back in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i have the book smile.gif it was reprinted last july or june, not sure which.
    was working in a bookshop and i saw it there smile.gif plus i got a discount when i bought it cos i worked there! hehe
    its a cool book, but it is very difficult to get hold of ur right, it took the library in carlow 5 or 6 months to get it in for me smile.gif
    but from the bits of the film u see in the ONE video it looks like a cool film hehe
    thx anyway man

Advertisement