Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobiles to be allowed on aircraft from 2006..

Options
  • 20-09-2004 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Article from the BBC.
    Mobiles in aircraft edge closer

Soon you could be using your mobile phone on flights as easily as you do on the High Street.

A two-year investigation has shown that mobiles can be used on planes without interfering with navigation systems.

Plane maker Airbus, which carried out the research, said the positive result paved the way for the widespread use of mobiles on aircraft.

Airbus said it was planning to put in-flight mobile phone technology on its aircraft by 2006.

Complete article here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This was always going to happen considering they nailed providing net access in flight. A few airlines have committed to rolling Boeings service out soon I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

That'll be a pain in the arse on long haul flights. Just when you are nodding off someones phone rings and proceeds to have a full blown conversation. Everyone always talks louder into the phone too.

They should leave them banned.

Robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

I would imagine that it'll be pretty costly when introduced. I presume it'll be charged as a roaming call, and an expensive one at that seeing as it will use satellites as a relay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

robbie1876 wrote:
    That'll be a pain in the arse on long haul flights. Just when you are nodding off someones phone rings and proceeds to have a full blown conversation. Everyone always talks louder into the phone too.

They should leave them banned.

Robbie
    true. money spinning idea. split the cabin...ringing or non-ringing.

costs more to sit in non-ringing....business people will pay up, and subsidise the rest of us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

OceanCell provide a service which offers coverage through satellites on ships so i presume the charges would be pretty similar - and yes they are costly.

Charges for this service are premium rated and divided to two rate tables . Not sure which countries are in which tables.

Outgoing calls to countries in group A 2,8 € / minute
    Outgoing calls to countries in group B 4,4 € / minute
    Incoming calls 2,8 € / minute
    SMS Send 0,7 € / SMS
    SMS Rec free of charge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

nooooo, now I have to submit to interference on my Discman, and those business types destroying the flight.... I hate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

omnicorp wrote:
    nooooo, now I have to submit to interference on my Discman, and those business types destroying the flight.... I hate them.

you shouldnt be using your discman, as it operates using a laser, which could theoretically interfere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

this will add to "air rage".

Especially if alcahol is served on the same flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Ah yes, mobile phone use banned on aircraft for safety reasons was really mobile phones banned until we can figure a way to make money out of them!

Looks like it will cost a fortune to make a call but that shouldn't bother the average mobile phone user who is price insensitive. I'd say the first mobile phone flights will be out of Dublin, Ryanair maybe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

L5 wrote:
    you shouldnt be using your discman, as it operates using a laser, which could theoretically interfere
    I asked.
    It doesn't interfere.
    And it doesn't distract people.
    I could maybe concede to texts

• Advertisement
Advertisement